𝟎-Prologue

Georgie was laughing so hard that she could hardly breath. Her brother was whining about the trip and they didn't even depart yet. He didn't like anything that moved too much, especially beaming and being in a shuttle, which was their current situation.

"I had one in the bathroom, with no windows!"

She could hear him complain as she sat down, and rolled her eyes, her laughter dying, leaving a smile dancing playfully on her lips. Leonard was such a diva sometimes... that was a thing she loved in her brother. Despite his pessimistic behaviour, he always found a way to be dramatic and extort a smile from his sister, even when she was in a bad mood. She saw the figure of the brown haired man being brought back from the bathroom, with an officer that seemed done with his tantrum.

"You need to get back to your seat, now!", said the officer.

Georgie was almost tempted to stand up and either bring him back herself, or go apologize to the poor officer that had the privilege to try to reason with stubbornness personified, Leonard McCoy.

"I suffer from aviophobia. It means fear of dying in something that flies." the man argued, still not sitting down.

His sister nodded towards him, silently telling him to sit down, but he nodded vehemently to say no, and the chestnut haired younger woman sighed heavily, catching the attention of the brown haired woman next to her, who smiled at her kindly.

"Sit down for your own safety –he tried to argue again but this time, the officer had none of it – sit down or else I'll make you sit down."

"Fine", grumbled Leonard as he seated in front of his little sister, who was now clearly annoyed at him. "I might throw up on you.", he said to his neighbour as he sulked.

Georgie knew he was sulking, she knew this face, especially this little pout he was making at the moment.

"Excuse my brother, he may be a bit annoying sometimes... well, not only sometimes if I am being honest. Georgie, at your service." It was his sister who spoke, a mischievous grin floating on her face.

Both hers and her brother's neighbours  nodded, smiling. The girl's smiled at her.

"Uhura. I will tell you my first name when I get away from the man in front of me."

"Nice to meet you."

It was the blond man's turn to talk:
"I think these things are pretty safe..." he said, trying to reassure Leonard.

"Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. A solar flare might pop up and cook us in our seats. And wait 'til your sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding. Space is disease and danger after darkness and silence."

Georgie clearly saw both Uhura and the blond man roll their eyes at her brother's antics. He was always like that, especially when beaming or being in a shuttle, and it annoyed pretty much everyone all the time. She loved him, for sure, but he surely was really annoying when he really tried.

''Well, I hate to break this to you, but Starfleet operates in space." Answered Leonard's neighbour, emphasising the word "space" with a head movement.

"Yeah, well, got nowhere else to go. The ex-wife took the whole damn planet in the divorce. All I've got left is my bones. Plus, I gotta keep an eye on the baby sat in front of you. Make sure she does nothing too reckless."

Georgie grimaced at the thought of the divorce. It had taken a toll on her brother, because it was his wife that had chosen to leave and he had suffered from that. She had enlisted in starfleet, thanks to captain Pike, and decided to bring him along. She had brilliantly succeeded, as he now was in the shuttle that was going to bring them to their headquarters. She grimaced once again when he mentioned looking after her but didn't say anything, as they already had this argument ten thousand times and she wasn't willing to have it once again. Leonard pulled out a flask and drank before handing it to the sandy haired man.

"Jim Kirk.", he finally said.

Now he got a name. From the corner of her eye, she saw Uhura roll her eyes at Jim's name. 

"McCoy. Leonard McCoy."

As her brother gave his name, she felt Jim's look at her. After all, he wasn't aware of her last name before that.
The thought that had crossed Jim's mind was that girls here seemed to never give their full name. First Uhura, then Georgie...

The youngest McCoy took a peek at what was going on around by the window, before looking at her brother, an excited grin breaking on her face.

It was a fresh start.