Chapter 2

Having a best friend means more than just having someone to hang out with after school. It means having someone you can trust someone you can tell all your secrets to. I no longer had that.

That part of me was gone and there was no getting it back. I could forget about the slumber parties, the going to the mall and trying on random dresses, the makeovers and the giggles. That part of my life was the past and none of it would be in my future.

People at school tried to be nice to me but nothing could make me feel better than I was feeling right now. I would never feel the joy of a best friend's presence again.

My mom called me down stairs one morning.

"Sam

come down here" she yelled cautiously. I ran down those stairs thinking something bad had happened. Only to find her holding out the daily newspaper.

"What I don't read the news, that's what Facebook is for" I explained

"No look at it" she said with certain shakiness in her voice.

The title read 'Obituary'

I saw a number of names and photos but my vision froze at the picture of my best friend

The paper read "Emily Stillwell was 15 years old when she committed suicide. She had a great family and a wonderful best friend. And lived a wonderful life, even if it was short."

Out of everything that was happening I started to yell "THATS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER READ, SHORT TO. THAT'S THE BEST THE PAPER HAS ANYMORE. IVE SEEN BETTER THINGS IN MY ALPHEBET SOUP. I JUST...I miss her so much." then the tears poured out of my eyes once more. My mother put her arms around me as I dropped the paper and fell to my knees.