Intro - The Alpha, and Me.

His hand grasps hers, as she lay her head on his shoulder. The grass was a vibrant green with the sun glazing over the park in a warm amber. I watch from the tree above, almost longing to recreate the scene with my own mate. I quickly shake it off, since the only reason I ran away is to be far from my so called 'soul mate'.

To many, the world is a simple black and white, with maybe a shade of grey in between. The concept of a wolf, vampire, fei, or anything in the paranormal (for them) and normal for me, exists only in the pages of a book or the trending section on Netflix. However for those who don't make the majority, our lives see shades of all kinds. Werewolves, vampires, and everything in between coexist in the 21th century.

We used to be hunted in the 18th century, killed for the slightest difference between us and them. So we learnt to hide our existence behind the façade of fantasy and myths, our history is written through the fantasy worlds shown in everyone's favorite fairy tales. Now, back to reality, the 21th century. Where we've learnt to not only adapt but build empires in the shadows, to the point that the phones we use, the shows we binge, and even the books we read are designed, directed, and written by one of us.

I come from one of the most powerful packs in America. We own the majority of the east coast, with our pack dominating the region. My dad is the alpha, and he's beyond ruthless. Known to be the most vicious in the country, he wont just destroy you, he'll make sure your entire family and even your friends wont survive. If he doesn't make you disappear, he'll make sure you'll never get another job, accepted into a college, or live a life he hasn't planned out for you.

Now, back to the reason I'm up in this tree eyeing the young wolf couple bellow me. My father. What do you get a man who owns the entire half of a country? The other half. The only way he could expand our pack and domination, was through a strategic alliance with one of the largest packs in the west coast - the shadow pack. And the only way to get this alliance was through me - my mate is the alpha of the shadow pack.

Now, I wouldn't have had any problem if my mate was kind, charming, and funny. Something every girl would want, but instead my destined soul mate turned out to be a power hungry, egocentric, asshole - the biggest on the west coast. However, for father dearest- he couldn't care less, technically my mate is rich, powerful, and strong, nothing else is needed according to him. So he did what he wanted to, and arranged me to be married off to the one and only Jason Mahone.

Soon as I found out, I was already packing my bags and planning my escape. I refuse to be traded like a piece of meat, I am a person. No matter how destined I am to be with my soul mate, no matter how much my biological make up urges me to be with him, I'm sane enough to see that my mate, and this so called alliance is crazy. Both of them are looking to grow their packs and other macho bullshit, so I did what's best for me and ran away.

So now, back to the tree. I was on my journey to a safe place - somewhere that my life is in my control and my father or my crazy mate cant find me, sunny California! The end goal is a small town within the grey zone, a small area inhabited by nothing but humans, so a perfect hiding spot for me away for everyone.

But I took a quick pitstop on my way to the zone, now I wasn't meant to stay in this town for long, but I got news that there's a bounty on my head and both Jason and good ol' daddy are after me. Basically I'm circled in until I know the coast is clear to get back on the road and into the grey zone.

I've waited in this tree long enough, now is the time. I slowly crawl down, and creep behind them eyeing the prize in sight. Being a wolf comes with its perks, I'm stealthy, and that comes in handy when your a broke runaway and you see a few hundred peaking out of someone's purse. Now I wouldn't do this normally, but desperate times call for desperate measures - plus they're a wolf couple, by the tattoo on the girls shoulder, they seem to be a part of the shadow pack, so they're definitely not poor.

All my accounts have been frozen by dad. So I need enough to cover a weeks rent, and looking at the fat stack in front of me, I think I wont need to worry about saving! I creep closer to the couple as they start to get up, my heart pounds in my chest and the adrenaline bubbles up. Within seconds I have the purse in my hand and I'm running through the greenery of the park. I can hear her partner running after me, screaming at me to give it back. I quickly pocket the cash and toss the bag to my left. He swiftly turns following the pastel pink purse, I keep running. Soon as he notices the cash is missing, he'll be right behind me again.