Chapter One

You know you just want to sink your teeth in his neck.

Shut up.

Doesn't he look delicious?

Be quiet.

Just a little nibble.

Don't do it.

"Shut up!" I scream, gripping my head in my hands and letting out a low moan. How can I keep on? I can't. I just can't keep dealing with this- I need to eat. I do my best to remember all those vampire psychology books Karissa keeps around, all the ones I read. What was that thing called?

The id. The id was the little devil on your shoulder, telling you what to do. The ego was the you, the human thoughts and concerns and worries. The superego was the conscience, the one who didn't want you to do anything bad. It was the id and the superego at war in my mind, and it wasn't a pretty war either. The constant switching of kill and don't kill, the arguing- they were two voices in my mind, and I wanted to rip them out by the throat.

"Freak." Malcom says in the front seat, earning a glare from me. Oh god, I would love to snap his neck off.

"I'm calling Marlie," Karissa says from beside me, in that stubborn tone mothers use. "You can't go in like this, talking to yourself."

"Call Marlie and I'll kill you." I snap, shooting her a glare. "That bitch hates me enough already, this will just add fuel to the fire. I'm fine." I snap, sitting back and taking deep breaths. I just need to calm down, then I'll be fine. I just need to breath- get some good old fashioned air, even if I don't technically need it.

Karissa gives me the look. The one she gave me when I tried to eat Dog, and when I tried to eat myself. The look that could make the toughest guy flinch and cry for mommy. It was alarming, how an eighteen year old blonde that was too short for most rollar coasters could have the look of a pissy sumo wrestler.

"Fine people don't talk to themselves, Poppy. At least let me come in with you." It was an almost pleading tone. It made me feel terrible, but I couldn't let her. Karissa could whoop a bitch, but a vampire? Even I have trouble sometimes, and I am one.

She places her hand on my forearm, and I snatch my arm away. "No. It's fine, really. Just stop getting so worried about me, I'm perfectly in control." I state, glancing down at my feet as I chew my lip. I had to stay in control, right? Control was all that mattered.

The van jerked to a stop, and I propelled myself out of the van. Glancing behind me, Karissa had a pissed off look on her face, obviously directed at me. She quite clearly disapproved, but that wouldn't stop me. I needed to kill something, alive or undead.

I slow my pace as I approach the front door, clearing my throat. I hate fighting in dresses. I mean, I like to fight, and I like dresses. But the two together? That, ladies and gentlemen, is uncomfortable.