A Road Trip To Remember

"Are you out of your goddamn mind, Rivera!"

Kenneth could hear his boss shouting at him from behind as he slammed the door to his office, making his way out of this godforsaken place to heave a sign of relief. Finally. It's over.

For three years he has been working in this firm to gain nothing except seeing his arrogant boss's face every morning, looking down at him in contempt. Today, he could feel the freedom at last, after resigning from this place for once and for all. He had no friends, or anyone to even call them his 'workmates'. So he had nothing to worry about except his mom's reaction when she heard the news.

"All this for a road trip?" She would ask him incredulously. 

But little did she know about all his frustrations which is why he had made up his mind to speak to her only the half-truth. What she doesn't know won't hurt her. It was not forever though, when the time comes he would have to tell her. 

Keeping all that aside, he walked to his old second-hand ford, painted grey which was parked a few feet away. Despite of how much effort he put in, or how much he sacrificed, his salary was no better than a janitor's. There is nothing good left in this world, everyone were either busy or never gave a damn about another person these days. Due to this, he often felt better or even proud of his lone-wolf character. 

He got in his car, turned on the engine as it began revving up. The time was around evening, sky was only beginning to get dark as he made his way to his apartment, mind filled with excitement he had never ever felt before. The traffic was a bit heavy as it was the start of summer holidays but got less denser as he reached the street he lived in.

As he climbed up the same old stairs which he climbed down in the morning, he felt like a different man, a man with a purpose. He opened the door to his room where he had already packed up his clothes, other luggages and necessary items for the trip. Looking down at the backpacks, he felt the thrill rushing inside him. Within no time, got a quick shower, grabbed his backpacks and left the apartment in its silence. He had informed about this to the owner two days back so that was all settled. He was so excited that he practically jumped to his car, throwing and pushing his luggages in. 

He started the engine again, this time for a very different goal. On his way he passed his office, but never even spared it a look for he had no time for the past, right now only one thing mattered to him, and that was living in the damn moment. With the euphoria building up, he barely noticed the distance he had travelled. He was long way past his home - Chicago now, on his way to San Francisco. 

The sky had turned to dark now and his eyelids were giving him away. Sensing this he drove into a local pub he saw nearby. He couldn't ignore the fact that his appetite too, was giving him away. But he had already spent too much in getting ready for the trip alone and the sandwiches he packed were long gone by now. Neverthless, he decided to enter the pub, only to find it packed with drunkards. The bartender seemed to be a beefy guy who was not supposed to be messed with, in between he saw a girl, a blonde, serving some of them drinks. The men were all treating her pretty badly but Kenneth took a look around and left the place amost immediately realising it was a bad idea.

He went back into his car, adjusted his seat and layed down, hoping his stomach would soon calm down as he forced his eyes shut. I should've brought more cash and not even one ATM was visible nearby.

Tap tap tap.

He opened his eyes to turn and saw a girl, the same girl he saw inside, now standing near his window, waiting for him to open. He adjusted the window and saw her holding up something towards him.

"Here, you can take it. No charges."

She was holding a box of hamburgers. And Kenneth was astonished to see this.

"Ahem...but..I didn't ask for anything." He replied quietly.

"There's no need for that, I know guys like you when I see one. Just take it as a gift." She flashed him a kind smile.

He shrugged a bit at first, but then decided to accept it. He took a bite from it and savoured the lushious ham, all the while thanking her gratefully.

"Kenneth Rivera." He introduced himself.

"Hi, I'm Summer."

She looked so sweet and innocent, that he immediately fell for her. Maybe he had already fallen from the moment their eyes met.

"Beautiful name." He smiled.

Thank you, I need to go. She rushed away quickly.

Wondering what could be the reason, he followed her into the pub to see a horrific scene.

The bartender was shouting at her and the other men who seemed to be his friends was behaving inappropriately to her.

Without second thoughts, he did what he had to do and led her into his car.

"You're safe here. Why do you even work there, Summer?"

"You..you don't understand..he's my... stepfather." She managed.

Kenneth couldn't believe his ears.

"But how could you be this kind to a stranger when no one was to you?"

The girl remained silent, still flashing a painful, kind smile."

As their eyes met, he decided this adventure was not meant to be done alone. Summer gave him a slight nod as he restarted the engine and the two drove into the adventure of a lifetime.