1: Post no Bills

I dislike social events.

That's most applicable when said gatherings involve almost the entire island. People do not hesitate to waste resources on frivolities. Most commerce is disrupted. So can be said for the normal flow of time here on Kanda.

Sure, my native Eidhu has a few extravagant holidays, but no other place in Ordale has a two-week festivity every month.

High-pitched chatter inundiated the streets, emanating from the playful mouths of people dressed to the nines. Males and females alike of every people donned masks on their faces. Their colours ranged from vibrant impastoes over their chests, to monochromatic schemes accenting their lower bodies.

Without a doubt, the annual Discovery Masquerade has begun. How I detest it.

You cannot walk down any street without seeing posters leading to the Kanda Eye, the complex where the Masquerade takes place. For the last five years, the city government has been considerate enough not to promote it in residental areas. In fact, no one is allowed to stick any posters outside of a house, regardless the purpose.

If there was a place where bills fit best, that would be public information walls. Those are the only places where such advertising would be welcome.

I think of the weirdest things when I'm taking a shower. I picked up a towel and tried to dry myself completely, before leaving the bathroom.

It's a languid morning. I'd rather stay in bed a bit longer, but too much sleep makes one more lethargic. I fumbled for my phone, dreading the deluge of Masquerade invitations I would have received.

Who am I kidding? Someone would have to be out of their mind to invite a grump like me to a party.

It took me three attempts to unlock my phone's screen. I had three notifications, which I had all assumed to be from solicitors and loan sharks. The first two messages proved to be what I suspected. The third one, however, was not what I expected.

From: Jay (37-529-6242)

03-24-2014 08:24

"Hey grump. Wanna go to the Masque with me? You're missing out. I'm sure you'll love it. - J."

No. I will not be swayed.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand.

From: Jay (37-529-6242)

03-24-2014 08:25

"You owe me one. :P"

That I do.

I knew I'd have to repay the person who saved my life. Tapping the "Reply" button, I began to type out a half-assed response. I wasn't told that I had to dance. Not that I could -- I can't dance to save my life.

Walking up to my drawer, I found my only set of Masque-worthy clothing. The ensemble is generic formal clothing at best, but it did come with a modestly-feathered mask. Making no special effort to look particularly good, I wore both pieces of my suit. As I snugly fit the mask and its straps around my head, I swore I saw something pass by the house.

The view of the road outside isn't very good from my bedroom window, but I felt an urge to check the gate. I ran down the stairs in a disorderly shuffle, and made my way to the door, leaving it wide open. 

There was no one outside the gate, from where I was taking a peek. Scanning both sides of the road from this vantage point did not show me anything helpful, either. I went back to the door to lock it, and shook my head as I opened the gate.

I just needed to swing it towards me to catch a glimpse of a folded paper corner.

How can anyone miss the large "POST NO BILL" notice outside the gate? Irrationally irked, I snatched the paper out, and read its contents.

MISSING: MAY MARI HANLEY

LAST SEEN: DURING THE EIDHU SURVIVAL CELEBRATION, 2014

WEARING: HARLEQUIN MASK, WHITE DRESS, HAS BANDAGES ON HEAD, BLIND ON ONE EYE.

If found, please contact AMY MARI HANLEY at 269-6274.

This is one of those missing posters that do not even belong in a public information board. It was sloppily written on a piece of ruled paper that could have been torn from a notebook. The sketch of the missing woman was done with a crayon. If this poster wasn't an elaborate joke, I wouldn't know what it was.

I was about to crumple it, when I saw him. He was dressed in a suit similar to mine, albeit with a corsage pinned over his left breast. Even with a harlequin mask, I could recognise him -- those eyes are too distinct to miss.

"What's that?" He tried to take it from my clenched fist. Since he seemed more interested in it than I could ever be, I opened my hand to reveal the partially crumpled note.

"Looks like a poorly-done prank. Don't kids have respect for rules nowadays?"

"Relax, Kay." He straightened the piece of paper up, and squinted as he brought it closer to his face.

"Isn't this girl familiar to you?" Jay pointed at the crayon sketch, much to my vexation. I'm not fond of children. That's why I don't know a lot of kids.

"Frankly, I don't care. Her parents are very irresponsible for failing to watch their children during large events."

He didn't seem thrilled to hear that from me. I could hear him swallow a lump from his throat.

"You didn't need to be so harsh, Kay." He took my hand and began to drag me away from the house. "I know this kid from this diary I picked up some time ago."

"Hey, I didn't say you could--"

"This is why I invited you to the Masque. You're going to help me look for this kid."

Great. So he wasn't concerned about me "missing out" on anything. He just needed to start a mini-search party with someone. Jay led me to his car, and opened the door to the passenger seat in front. I entered the vehicle,

"That's not the only reason." He made his way to the driver's seat after closing the door on my side. "I want you to loosen up, for once. We're going to the Kanda Eye."

I folded my arms across my chest as he started the engine. With the sound of machinery roaring into life, I groaned and heaved a sigh.