20

I froze. I tried to cover myself from him. My instincts shouted at me, warned me to hide from him. I knew  he would not be happy to see me here.

He was facing my side, I was hoping he did not see me yet though. This room was huge and there were a lot of people I felt like he could see me. If I stayed for long maybe he would so I decided to move from his path and hide from him.

So I tried to go to another corner of a room. I felt like a cat. I went in the direction Matt went to but the long way. I creeped away wanting to get away from him. I didn't want him to see me. I felt like i was betraying him by being here with Matt.

Why though? Why did I feel this way?

While I was creeping away I kept on checking on him little by little to see if he has moved. He hopefully did not see me. I saw Matt in a distance with two glasses in his hand. He tried to go to the corner I was supposed to be in but he too saw Damien standing in the middle and froze and took the longer route to get their, luckily it was the same path I was in so I called walked fast to catch up to him. Matt looked a bit troubled when I caught up to him.

"Hey matt I'm over here" I called out to him.

"Oh thank god you are there." He looked relived and he hid his troubled look with a smile. " Here is your drink ma lady" he offered a drink for me.

"Aww thank you good gentleman" I replied politely.

"So what's up? Did you miss me that much that you came to get me?" He joked in a smug way. I laughed it off.

"I thought you got lost so I felt sorry for you and came to find you, you big man child" I joked back. Again he put his hand on his chest dramatically and looked horrified, "Lady how could you call me that. I am not a man child I am just a normal innocent child" he huffed.

I laughed some more. I was laughing on the outside but on the inside I was panicking. I peeped to look at Damien hoping he was still facing away from me. But he wasn't he was facing my side again, listening to an old guy speaking to him. I froze. I tried to act calm and started walking , Matt was still talking about  something so he walked with without question me.

"Lets keep walking around k" I told him silently, he agreed and we went around.

"Matt!" A lady called out. Matt turned to face a lady who looked like she was in her late 40s and a guy in his early 50s.

"Mother" he greeted her with a formal smile. I tensed sensing the tension between mother and son.

"So you finally came. You didnt even bother to find us. You arrogant child. Many were asking for you" his mother hissed at him in a way only he and I could hear her. She completely ignored me.

"Matt my boy," the man Spoke up ignoring the lady, I assumed he was Matts father, "don't mind your mother. Now please do introduce us to the beauty next to you" his father gave me a warm smile.

I see where Matt gets his smile from. They both had a bright smile that spread.

"Hey dad." Matts eyes brightened up. "I'm sorry for not coming to see you sooner. We were just looking for you."

Really? Wow I didn't even know. I thought to myself.

" This here is Rosalie. She studies in the same university as me." He introduced me.

I smiled at them both , "hello it's nice to meet you both"

Matts dad smiled and opened his mouth but before he could even say anything Matts mom demanded, "which family is she from Matt?"

Matt looked at her with a blank look. 

"Does it really matter" he snapped back.

"I am an orphan Mrs Tondersons" I replied at the same time he did.

Mr Tondersons look like he wanted to choke her, she looked like she wanted to choke me , Matt looked like he wanted to choke himself because of the embarrassment.

" I will not let a tramp like her crawl her way into our family" she snapped at him looking at me with disgust. Matt gasped and Mr Tondersons quickly spoke.

"I'm soo sorry my dear she seems to have too many glasses" he quickly said trying to lighten the mood, Mrs Tondersons wanted to snap at him but he spoke up quickly and dragged her away, "please do enjoy your evening and save this old man a dance why don't you"

And they were walking away with Mr Tondersons dragging Mrs Tondersons away while she was snapping at him. But he didn't stop.

"Rose..." matt looked at me alarmed. " I am soo sorry please-"

"Its okay Matt. " I quickly squeaked. Tears have already gathered in my eyes a bit. But I held them in, not wanting to alarm poor Matt further. It's not his fault his mom is that way.

"I am soo sorry" I think he realized the tears in my eyes and was goimg to apologise some more but I cut him off because if I didn't I would have actually cried if he keeps on apologising.

" seriously Matt don't apologise. Let's just enjoy the evening k. Please" i begged him with my eyes.

He looked at me deeply with a worried and guilty expression and smiled sadly and said, okay.

I smiled back and pushed the tears in. One tear came out but I cleaned it away quickly.

I looked at Damien again checking to see if he was still there. He still was. Another gentleman was talking to him. I realized then that there was one guy who was standing next to Damien who looked bored. He didnt look like someone who wanted to speak to Damien. He didnt even look tense standing next to Damien. He looked like a body gaurd or something.

"Hey Matt... I need to know something, who is that guy in the middle" I said eyeing Damien and the guy next to Damien.

Matt froze a bit. His became serious and rigid. He then looked around to see anyone close, he then grabbed my hand and dragged me away from the room. We passed through many doors finally we reached this empty hall.

"Okay Rose... stay away from that guy. He is one dangerous guy." He whispered looking around to see if anyone is there. " I noticed you have been looking at him ever since I went to get those drink. I don't blame you for being interested in such a good looking guy but please stay away him"

I felt embarrassed that he caught me looking at Damien. Instead of denying that I asked him what's on my mind.

"Why? Whats up with him?" I asked more curious now. He looked around some more and when he realised no one was there and started whispering.

"Okay i will tell you but you must keep it a secret k. Only families like ours know because it is mandatory. No one else no much of him." He started explaining.

" so you know this event is filled with people who are really powerful right. Well when I say powerful people I mean people who are capable of changing the state of a town, country or even the world. Not just wold leaders, politicians, owners of huge companies, organisations and industries are here. There are dangerous people too. Like.. " he looked around again and whispered lowly, " criminal organisation leaders are here too."

I tensed up.

"Well most of the time the really powerful people are always tied to criminal organisations. "

"So he is a leader of a criminal organisation?" I asked soflty.

"No, well, I don't know. My dad told me he was part of a criminal organisation but he was then chosen for something else. "

"Like what" I asked.

" I can't tell you the exact details. But remember that metaphor I used to explain the differences in power our high class society?"

I nodded silently.

" well he doesn't belong to any category. If there are Kings, Earl's, Marquess, Dukes,  then he" he said looking reallt serious.

"he might as well be God "