Chapter 3

I looked at Vic dumbfounded. What was he doing here? How long was he here? What did he even want with me?  I slowly stood up, my body still feeling off from the anxiety attack. I dusted my pants off, refusing to say a word to him. There was no way in hell I was going to talk and let him mock my stutter or what had just happened. I already heard it a lot at home and from most of the students that didn't even know me. 

Maybe he just needed me to raise his ego a little higher. I didn't know why he was here, or what he wanted.  I eyed him carefully, he looked at me curiously. The moment he caught my gaze he gave me this bored look, for a second I thought I saw a flash of concern in that look of curiosity, but if it was there, it was gone in a flash. He left the restroom without a word. He obviously didn't want to talk about this moment any more than I did.

I let out a soft groan. I had this feeling he would tell everyone about what he saw. If he didn't then I would be shocked. I couldn't help but think lowly of him. I bit my lip nervously at the thought while I walked over to the sink. After I washed my face off with water and dried it, I headed for my next class. 

- - -

I sighed in content as I sat on the bleachers, not having to do a single thing today. I had gotten a syllabus to go by and a locker. I bit my lip as I read through it, not paying attention to what the other kids were doing. Today they were playing soccer, which was my sport, I just wasn't allowed to play because of not being in uniform.  

I didn't mind all that much, I was actually okay with it. It gave me time to watch how they play and their tactics. I could easily tell the weak players from the stronger ones. It was easy to tell for some, harder for others.  I took note on how they played the ball, some were downright horrible at aiming for the goal, but could get it across the field to it. Some were downright savage when it came to the game, a guy who had a stalky body, had aimed for the ball but instead his blow collided with a girl's shin, sending her straight to the nurse. I made a mental note to not cross his path.  

I left gym class the second the coach was looking away and the others were dressing back into their school clothes. There would probably be a few that wouldn't bother changing clothes with just one more class left. They'd most likely put on some fresh deodorant and fresh smelling fragrance. I walked through the halls, heading for my locker. I stuffed what I didn't need for the last class and what I needed for home before closing it. I then began walking to my final class of the day, a music class. 

I sighed solemnly as I walked down the hallways until the bell rang, I was still learning the fastest way to get to my classes without being torn apart by a frenzy of sharks. I had the map I was given practically memorized by now, so this was a bit easier. I arrived at my final class nearly four minutes after the ringing of the bell ceased due to taking the longer route. I paused halfway in the classroom doorway, my gaze landed on the one and only, Vic Fuentes. I did a quick glance around the room, finding that all of the seats, but one next to him, were taken. 

I let out a little groan. I had so much bad luck, it was unhealthy. 

With a not-so-graceful motion, I seated myself in the only available seat next to the beast. I bit my lip, looking straight forward and ignoring him glancing over at me. I tapped my pencil against the wood anxiously. The class hadn't even started and I was ready to leave this one right now.  

The only positive side to this was that it was music class, a class were one could express their desire for music. For a brief second, I wondered why Vic was here. He didn't seem like a musical person. Maybe he was being forced to take this class? That couldn't be possible, though, this class was an elective.

I let my thoughts fall silent when the teacher walked through the door. I watched the old hag walk steadily to her desk. She snapped at the class to quiet down before sitting. She scanned over the class, stopping and looking my direction. I stopped tapping my pencil the moment I notice her gaze on me. She didn't say anything, she simply looked at me knowingly and faced her computer, bringing it to life so she could send the attendance to the office digitally.  

She most likely knew she had a new student coming into her class. That, or she didn't care too much. I let my gaze fall away from the teacher and glanced tentatively at Vic. He was studying me with his eyes that where rich like a rainforest's soil.  I quickly looked away from him, luckily the teacher started to teach something about the history of music, which was an easy distraction for me.

She had mentioned there would be a project soon. We would work on making a song in groups of two to three. The only problem with this was that I had no one to work with. I bit the corner of my lip, thinking about moving classes. It was an easy fix. 

I let myself get taken away in my thoughts, not paying attention to what she taught as I self-consciously doodled on some paper. I wasn't that good, at least not in my eyes, but some people thought I was amazing and told me I would go somewhere in life because of it. I highly doubted it, though. My 'artwork' was nothing special.  

For the rest of the class Mrs. Zimmer, I had learned her name thanks to a student, went on about whatever the others were learning about the other day. I kept my mouth shut and tried to forget about M. Tough Guy, who kept looking at me every so often.  

The moment the bell rang I was out of my seat and into the hallway. I didn't wait for Vic to catch up, he was someone who wouldn't get along with my stuttering self and me. I accepted it.  He was probably too caught up in his popularity to care about me anyways. I have seen the way people glance at him and how he acted in the hallways. People in my last class kept giving me this weird look because of Vic staring  at me with his dumb eyes. 

If it were under any other circumstances, that he wasn't harassing me, I would have waited for him and talked with him. I would have cared how beautiful or cute he looked if it was a different situation, but he ruined it. 

As I went straight for the closest exit students could use, I saw Vic talking with some guy, he stoped for a second when he noticed me. Then he went back to talking, his voice lowered now. I swear I felt his gaze on me as I walked past him.

What was his problem? Why did he keep staring at me like that?  

I started to think he thought of me as a freak for having a panic attack. To him, he probably thought I had it because of him, but it wasn't because of him. It was because of how Matty had touched me. The touch, which was to be one of comfort, had triggered those thoughts inside of me and I hated it. I had done my best to bottle that feeling up earlier today but the touch on my thigh was too much. I just prayed that my dad was at least in a good mood today. I secretly wished he would ignore my existence for a while. It was better to be ignored than be his punching bag at times.

- - -

I wasn't surprised to find my father laying on the couch, knocked out by the alcohol. The typical weekday afternoon for him.  

He'd probably be awake and going to get more to drink later tonight. Hopefully, he wouldn't burst into my room like most nights. While my dad was knocked out from the alcohol he drank, I did my homework. It was a pain in the ass, but I did it anyway. I struggled with a few of the math questions, but I figured them out within time. I swear I got them wrong, but I didn't care. At least I gave an effort to try, unlike some of the kids in that class. 

Once I had finished my homework I placed the papers and notebooks back in my bag and put my backpack on the chair of my desk next to my bed. I turned off the main light and flipped on the lamp before grabbing some clothes and heading to the shower. 

The rest of the night was a blurb of pills and blades.