My Parents Warned me About The Dangers Of The Dark -(Short Story)

6pm, like clockwork, a routine time where I'm required to venture out into the cold light night to exercise the family dog. Everydays the same. Walk the same familiar route. As a teenager its one of the only responsibilities i was trusted with as not much could go wrong walking  laps round the well known estate. It was safe, my parents were comfortable with safe. I wanted more. How could you blame me when my only understanding of the world is through my parents eyes. Consistently told the horrors of what could occur if i disobeyed them in any way possible. It was the close mindedness of our elders that is seen to be the  main factor of pushing teens to do wrong. To step outside and switch on their deep curiosity.
Some may believe the conspiracies that their parents soak into our brains like a sponge. Others make a what could possibly be a life changing decision by simply not paying attention and leaving it up to experience to make up your own mind. With little regret this was me.

6pm. Light nights in autumn have faded into dark crisp nights in winter. The sky was painted a pitch black gloom. Not a star in the sky. Not a building or glowing lamppost in sight for the clouding fog surrounding each turn of every street. My parents warned me not to step into the unknown kept out by the locked glass sliding door. I was never told precisely what would happen as they were unable to fully explain themselves as if they weren't totally aware either. The feeling of not knowing was getting too much for me to stand. The family dog was restless. Scratching to open the door keeping him from his daily routine. A combination of his impatience and my anger towards the potential lies from the people who raised me fueled my drive to hook the leash and exit swiftly before my absence was noticed.
The door swung open, this was it. No turning back now.
Having this inbuilt fear from the barriers that was put up for me as a child only made me want to live my life to the fullest by doing opposite of that triggering word 'safe' was. He tugged the leash as if to go walk around the brightly lit estate. This was when my brains mentality switched. The word ' danger' seemed like a myth to me now.
I persuaded my dog to take the wrong turn with a treat , took a deep breathe and braved the storm, or in my case the path that was so concealed with fog that it almost didnt appear dark anymore. But it was.
The avenue. The straight rough path roadside was feared by many. Surrounded by dark woodland areas. It was the type of views as seen on the worst type of horror films. After all it was just a film. I place my right headphone in to block out the sound of cars racing past whilst still keeping one ear out to look out for this spoken about 'danger'. I  take a deep breath in and exhale out seeing my cold breathe in front of me only fogging the air further.
As i walk, i reflect on the reasons for me taking this unneeded journey and if this was the right decision. I guess growing up i had always had a taste for everything imaginable that i was told not to. The thought of not knowing excited me and it was that feeling that kept my existence worth living. 'Safe' was boring.
Halfway through the walk i realised that i had nothing to worry about, despite the creepy atmosphere of the branches snapping behind me and the faint chatter in the distance. There were no signs that indicated anything could go wrong.
I was wrong. Out of nowhere my dog had halted as he barked into the distance. This alarmed me. The faint chatter i had heard through my right ear turned into a shadow. The shadow was approaching. Nowhere to turn. It was either keep walking and figure out what was ahead or run as fast as i could back to the comfort of my own home. No way. As my dog races ahead the shadow shifts into an image of a tall boney male. His look was alarming to me and i was unsure how. Was this the danger? Was people like him what i was warned against. My parents taught me never to talk to strangers. To never trust one. To stay away. My parents weren't here anymore. The path was long. There was atleast 200 metres in between us. 200 turned to 100 which turned to 50. My heart beated faster than itv ever had before. Was this it? The feeling of a cold shiver came over my body as i prepared for the worst.the fog began to disperse.  His facial features became clearer. His frail demeanor revealed.I was unable to control and process this feeling of dread and uncertainty. To go from being sheltered to completely unprotected was too much for me to handle. The paranoia kicked in but was it all in my head. Was i fed lies by the people who raised me. Why would this man purposely go out of his way to take my life. Surely he has other plans for his life? Whos to say he isn't shaking with severe anxiety at the sight of my appearance. With 20 metres between us i freeze. My body was overcome with too many new feelings and experiences for me to handle. I must have given off the feeling that i needed help. The man stopped briefly to neal down to pet my dog. I could barely form a sentence. He proceeded to ask what his name was. A painful ringing overcame the ear that didn't have a headphone in. i felt faint. My paranoia felt like it was powerful enough to kill me. Maybe i should have been taught to fear my own mental state instead. The man put his hand out as if to feel the temperature of my forehead in concern. My reflexes smack his hand away. Over the ringing noise i am able to piece together that he said to not panic. That he is a doctor. I turned to see the bright headlights of a double decker bus going full speed down the length of the avenue that i had walked. Was this man a thoughtful caring stranger? Was it really his fault that he had ended up in this unforeseeable situation. My dog delivers his final bark in the presence of this tall stranger. The large number 039 double decker comes hurtling towards us. I close my eyes. My weak cold hands let go of the leash of my dog. The stranger bent down as if to save me the stress of running after him. As he kneeled down my mind was overcome with a drive. A burning desire to find out more new feelings much like i had discovered in that 20 min venture out into this unknown area. 10 metres. I was  10 metres apart from the strange man. Now 10 metres apart from the heavy looking not in service bus. An impulse occurs. Takes over. No thought went into this decision, only curiosity. I reached out my shivering arms and with all the force in my body i pushed this man out into the clouding fog that concealed the road. The fog covered my eyes. I may have been blind but i was there for the shriek coming from he who had been splattered a cross the windscreen of the hurtling transport.

Was this why i was warned against stepping outside the doors after the sky reached a particular shade of black? As i wake up on the floor of a cold grey slabbed room with bars for windows. I ask myself the question i had craved to answer all along.

Was i the danger in the Dark that my parents had warned me about ?