author's note

this story is a part of my vast repertoire of unfinished stuff; however, this one is special because i brought in the first chapter to a critique workshop for my intermediate fiction writing class sophomore year of college, and the professor tore me a new one.

the man, no older than 35, had a phd in 1960s american history and is the author of a semi-successful ya novel. while he made some fair points about the clarity of my characters and the way the story feels, he also really laid into the "incorrect" historical aspects of the story. this story is uniquely based in an area where i grew up, and i had consulted people who were alive during this time when writing the story. i showed them drafts. 

i have critiques from 70-year-olds, all of which praise its accuracy.

this young(ish) man with a phd really, really destroyed any confidence i had in this story. it was less because of his credentials and more because of his shitty attitude.

one day, perhaps, i may return to this story... but for now, i will allow it to remain of a testament to that one time a professor was unnecessarily mean to me.

it's ok tho, i got revenge when he held the last workshop in his home and i took two whole bottles of wine from the buffet he set out c: