Review: The Inventor

The Inventor, by @StephenJennisonSmith

There is a distinct lack of TeslaPunk on Wattpad. In fact if you search for it you'll find very few results. There are a lot more if you simply search 'Tesla,' however for this month's review I opted for a story I read a couple of years ago.

What we have here is a rather cool short story that tells of an inventor-cum-adventurer named John who fancies himself a child of Tesla. He puts me more in mind of a mad scientist, to be fair, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The story itself feels a little rushed but given the protagonist's somewhat fleeting manner I think that works rather nicely. I would, however, like to know much more about John the Inventor. A little back story, perhaps of failed experiments and the multiple explosions (I imagine) he caused as a child, trying to find his footing upon the ladder to greatness whilst his parents (I suspect) were put through the wringer!

What the story lacks in character development it more than makes up for in attention to detail. Whether the author possesses a level of scientific knowledge I am unaware, however the reader could be forgiven for assuming that he does.

Overall this is a nicely written short. It's an quick, easy read, one that I would recommend having a look at if you have a spare five minutes!