PROLOGUE

"Paanong nagdadalawang-isip ka kung iisa lang naman ang utak mo?"

My fingers encircled the stick as my grip on it start to tighten when I beheld that they were reveling. The bonfire lights up the center that even the dying composure I had started to get burned by its flame. The marshmallow starts to liquify after being immersed in the fire for a couple of seconds.

How dare she smiles like that when she had never done that after all those weeks of being with me...

I only begged for her smiles, not for her kisses whereas I know she wouldn't ever give. That even if I come on one knee, she will stand her ground to stay still during her halcyon days. She wouldn't dare to lay an eye on my side most preeminently right now that she's at the pinnacle of joviality.

Attention. Her attention is a curse that once bewitched me and now I crave. She feeds me with those sewed-up words and phrases for a day only to leave me hanging for a lifetime. Whichever, I couldn't find my way back. I've lost my way to get back and redo the things I shouldn't be done but like yesterday, what's done is done.

Her laughter from the morning mirth while lying at my bed, snuggling my pillow, and lips pressed against my shoulders started to ache and drew bruises to my deep-cut unopened wound. Those picturesque cognizances of our past early encounter to start the day even before the sun rises never left my mind. And when her stricken eyes glow under the sea of stars, flashing nothing but the future she holds, I'll always be remembered that the night will be there to witness our whispered whines against the cloth we held tightly but today, there's nothing I could hold on to but the continuous reminders that she's happy.

And for her to be happy is to be free.

I felt how my throat went dry when my hands touches my neck, holding on to my necklace's pendant.

The sound of nature's whistling through the gust of winds swept my hair to cover my face from looking at them. I lowered my head and look at my pale hands.

I hummed.

The air is ice cold. The way the wind's whistle sends a tingle to my skin and the forest' aroma mixes with the river's, it's all refreshing.

Nature's too comforting and warm, but cold at the same time.

We're in the wild while someone's playing and picking the guitar to produce a sound everyone could jam and enjoy throughout the night. They're enjoying, indeed, but this is less compared to the fireflies as gold as the moon.

I cleared my throat when I caught her looking at me after everyone stood up but the two of us. Nevertheless, it didn't take long before I saw her leaving as well.

I watched how she open her tent and how she went in carefully because of the person that's been sleeping inside.

How ironic. It was me who she told me she likes but she never shows it. Never once, thinking that I was never ready to witness it.

"What are you doing?" I asked without looking at my side even after feeling that she put a beanie on my head.

"Won't you go to sleep?" She then trailed the linen of my sweatpants that however startled me. Her fingers curled at my covered thighs until it reaches the hem of my jacket.

My breath has always been firm as well as my established composure until I felt how she covered my waist and beneath it was her arms touching my bare skin inside the top I'm wearing.

"You know that the rules you're meant to comply do not longer necessarily involve me, right?" I whispered before completely turning my head on her side and laying my fingertips on her soft cheeks.