Two: St Martin's

It was silent, but the room was full of people. I swilled coffee round in the cup I held with both hands. It wasn't very nice; it was weak, watery and didn't have enough milk in it all at the same time. I watched bubbles spin in a whirlpool while waiting to see who would break the silence.

It was Courtney.

"Could we have a moment, please? And can we arrange for someone to take Damien's mother home so she can recover?" she said, to the five members of staff who had all heard me screaming and had all run to check on me.

As if it needed to be any more awkward.

"I'll let reception know," said one, as the rest of them filed out the door. "I hope you feel better soon, Mr Smith." She smiled, but I couldn't return it.

I grunted when they were gone, peeved that they'd stayed so long, and filled with inexplicable anger at whoever had done this to me. Whoever had made me this...thing.

"It's a lot to take in, isn't it?" Courtney asked, once we were alone. It took a lot of effort not to glare at her, even though it wasn't Courtney I felt anger towards. I tried to calm myself by tracing the patterns on my hospital gown and employing some very deep breathing. "Will you let us help you?"

I nodded.

"And you'll stay at St Martin's?"

"I doubt my mum would cope very well if I went back home," I muttered, reaching back to run a hand through my hair. It was damp, which only made me feel worse. "She might not have such a soft landing next time."

As if in response, the developing bruise on my abdomen smarted. Unfortunately for me, I'd been stretched out on the floor as a landing pad when Mum opened the door at my yell and passed out. Courtney grimaced.

"Well, like I said, we already have a room for you. It's got a particularly big bathtub, but also a bed if you prefer."

I blinked, and looked away. This was all going too fast for me to keep up with. Since I got back to bed, I had had my legs above the covers, to reassure myself that they were still there and that they weren't going to morph back into that monstrosity that had taken their place before. I'd immediately asked for coffee in the hopes that it might wake me up and I'd find I'd been dreaming, but I had no such luck with it.

Now I had to drink it for courtesy's sake, but it was as enjoyable as a cup of dishwater.

"Okay," I finally said. I wanted to be left alone to get over what had just happened to me, but at the same time I really didn't. "Thank you."

"That's alright," Courtney replied brightly. "We can send someone to get your things from your apartment if you want." The reason behind the offer was clear, but neither of us went near that can of worms.

"Um..." I paused. I didn't want anyone else going through my things. A nagging in the corner of my mind told me that there was a good reason for that, but didn't see fit to tell me what that was. "I'd prefer to do it myself."

Courtney nodded, and turned thoughtful. "Does your mother have any close friends in your area, can you remember?"

"I...  No. I can't."

"Hmm." She thought a moment, and I was grateful that she pretended not to notice my discomfort. "Well, we could ask your neighbours to invite her for tea or something. Then she's out of the flat, and you can go in, get what you need, and be out again in a few minutes."

"I don't have a key, though."

"I'm sure we can arrange something," Courtney replied. She smiled like she knew something I didn't.