In the Beginning Was the Word

We now live in an information-driven world. Being able to accurately communicate your ideas across in a globally-recognized language commands respect and spells success. 

Common sense tells us that we can't do much if our English vocabulary is limited. Therefore, we need to know as many words as possible. But how many do we have to know?

Does it have to be 20,000, 10,000, or 3,000? These figures could be daunting to you, but don't worry. The truth is, I don't even know how many words I know. Who cares? Who is going to count them anyway?

While it is necessary to know as many words as you can, what truly matters is you are able to use them. What's the point of knowing so many if you don't speak them at all? 

So, don't get discouraged by the number of words you know so far. What is most important is you focus your effort on speaking them.

You probably have this question in mind: "What exactly are the words I have to learn?" Well, it depends on who you are and what you do. If you are in the medical profession, you obviously must learn the terms in the medical field.

Another way is asking yourself, "What if?" What if you go out of your own country alone? What if you need some help and yet you speak no words of English? What words do you think you need to know to get your message across?

You want to know what words to learn about? Put yourself in a situation where you don't get something done unless you speak in English.