XIII

XIII: First Blood

~*~

For a few seconds, which felt like years, i was plummeted into pure darkness. I waited for it to pass, and soon enough it did. The light was blinding, and my freet froze in their place in the centre of the circlular platform as i rose the few final inches.

I blinked a few times, the silver cornucopia and its surroundings coming into vision.

The cornucopia was, obviously, filled with many weapons and tools. Beautifully made and professionally crafted, like the ones i had trained with since i was twelve.

My father once told me the cornucopia had the deadliest weapons directly at the back of the cornucopia. He told me those weapons were usually the careers weapons of choice.

My mentor told me that too, obviously it was drilled into my head by now.

As the weapons the careers specialise in are at the back, it made the start of the games ten times more entertaining because of the fact they then had to use other weapons they didnt specialise in to make their way to the back by killing other tributes off brutally slow.

There were also backpacks and other mediocre weaponry scattered around the cornucopia and ending arohnd fifty metres from the platforms.

I spotted a few things like backpacks and small daggers that would take a lot of effort to kill someone with.

There was a large box of supplies, a bow and quiver filled to the brim of perfect arrows directly at the mouth of the cornucopia.

But I wasn't the only one who spotted it, twelve eyed it too. She looked up from her beloved bow toward her district partner, lover boy as he shook his head.

The countdown had been going for about twenty five seconds now, we only had fifteen seconds left.

I had my plan. Run toward the centre, pick up a backpack and the vest of knives and run. Don't look back, just run directly toward the forest.

I wasn't going to be allies with Cato, Clove, Glimmer and Marvel unless you gave me a one way ticket out of here with a few extras to give to the people who don't deserve to be in here.

10

"Get the knives"

9

"Outrun everyone, you've been trained."

8

"Don't show fear."

7

"Avoid Cato and his gang."

6

"Put on a good show."