19

19
An Accident

"JESUS CHRIST, you look terrible," Phoenix said as Kendall opened her apartment door. It was Sunday, and also an entire week since Kendall broke up with Ryan. Kendall was dressed in one of Ryan's plain black t-shirts and baggy gray sweatpants.

"Thanks," Kendall said sarcastically.

"Why are you dodging my calls and texts? I've been trying to tell you all week that Maria said yes."

"Congratulations," Kendall said sincerely with a weak smile.

Phoenix gasped. "What the hell happened to your wrists?" She took Kendall's arm and observed the yellowish-brown remnants of the bruise that was now fading. "Did Ryan do this to you?"

Kendall remained silent. "I swear to God, I'm going to kick his ass," Phoenix said. "What happened?"

"I kept telling him to leave, and he got so angry with me," Kendall recalled, sitting on the edge of her bed. "I should've listened to him. God why didn't I listen to him?" Kendall put her head in her hands. "I broke up with him because I was scared. I mean, the way he looked at me . . ."

"Kendall," Phoenix interrupted, "it's not your fault. I, for one, think you're so much better without him."

"I know, but . . . I don't even know why I miss him. He hasn't texted or called since it happened. Is it wrong for me to miss him?"

"No, not at all," Phoenix replied. "You can't stop caring for a person right away; that's just how these things work. But you are Kendall-fucking-Morgan, and you can get through this."

Although Kendall knew that Phoenix was right, it still felt like the emotional pain Kendall was going through would last forever. Kendall wasn't even sure if she loved Ryan, and she wasn't sure why she cared so much. Ryan was the type of guy to get into your head and drive you crazy whether or not you were around him. 

"Now, you need to submit that song to GSR and drag your lazy ass to the airport, because you have a flight to catch."

Kendall fell backwards into her pillow. "I'll send the song, but I'm not in the mood to go home right now."

"Bullshit." Phoenix pulled the pillow out from under Kendall and hit her with it. "Get up before I drag you to LAX myself."

Reluctantly, Kendall stood up. "Fine."

For some odd reason, home was something that no longer felt familiar to Kendall. Everything had remained the same since she left Georgia, but at the same time everything looked different. Maybe it was because she had gotten used to California. LA was her home now, and everything that she had grown attached to was there. Here new life was there.

Although she didn't know why, Kendall was anxious. She had no idea what her mother would say to her once she opened the front door, or how she'd react. Kendall didn't know why her mom wanted to see her. She had tried to rule out all of the negative possibilities, but they kept worming their way back into her mind. Not wanting to think about it any longer, Kendall takes a deep breath and rings the doorbell.

Not long after, Kendall's father opened the door. "Hey, Ken," he says with a smile as he pulls her into a hug. "How've you been?"

Kendall released her father and gave him a warm smile. "I've been okay, I guess. What about you?"