Never Again

Only about ten minutes had passed and Aaron was already freaking the fuck out. He had gone to all the places they had visited and was unable to find them. He couldn't even call Simon cause he left his cellphone in the car.

It was beginning to get pretty dark and the zoo was announcing to close at seven. He was honestly getting pretty scared, and asking people for help was a no, no, seeing how much his anxiety rose by just looking at them.

He went back to the bunny exhibit, hoping they'd come look for him there. He sat down and leaned his body against the fence.

After what seemed like forever, he felt like crying. This wasn't like him at all. He was usually able to handle situations like these pretty well. After he met Simon, he began depending on the man a little too much. He couldn't stand being so distant from him, he had become a really important part of his life and the thought of losing him really made his throat clench.

He hugged his feet close to his chest, he didn't know what to do. What if they never found him? What if he had to go back to his messed up past again? He didn't want that! He liked being with Simon, he felt safe and secured, he didn't have to worry about a lot of things anymore. He always had food, a comfy bed to sleep in, a roof over his head and most importantly, someone's hands to run into when he was feeling down.

Those are things he struggled to get and now that he had them, he didn't want to let them go just like this. "Please come back." He whispered to himself, feeling his tears begin to role down his cheeks.

The place was getting empty by the second and he could see some lights start to shut off. The darker it got, the more afraid he became, making him cry even more, although it wasn't audible, if you got close enough, you'd hear him sniffling and hiccuping every now and then.

[The Zoo will be closing in five minutes! I repeat The Zoo will be closing in five minutes!] he heard a women's voice through the speakers.

It was probably too late. They must've left already...

He wiped a bit of his tears and stood up from the floor.

"Aaron!"

His eyes dilated. There's was no way! He turned back and his heart beat increased. Simon and Alan were walking towards him from the aquarium section.

He didn't think twice before running to them and jumping into Simon's arms. He wrapped his hands around him tightly and began crying again. "W-where did you g-go?" He sniffled out. "Ari look everywhere a-and Sy not there a-and then got scared a-and..." He paused, holding him even tighter if it was possible. "Please don't leave Ari alone ever again!" He ululated.

Simon felt is heart sink at the sight before him. He slowly ran his hand up and down Aaron's back into hopes of calming him down. He felt terrible seeing the boy cry like that. "I'm sorry, Kiddo, I promise I won't leave you again, okay? It's all over now, hm?" He whispered softly.

"I thought you said he didn't have a headspa-" Alan started but was stopped when Simon side eyed him a deadly glare that immediately shut him up.

They drove home soon after, Alan on the wheel with Simon in the back seat while holding onto Aaron. His crying had stopped but occasional hiccuping were still noticeable. He had his arms locked around Simon and his head resting on his chest with Simons fingers playing with his hair.

When they reached the house, he refused to let go of Simons hand, not that the older minded, and wouldn't let him leave his side for even a second.

"Are you sleeping over?" Simon asked Alan who was lounging on the sofa while scrolling through Netflix.

"You expect me to go home at this late hour?" He said, looking over at the kitchen.