Chapter 6

Asa peered down at her, concerned.

"Rory?"

"Mm?"

"You back with me, little one?"

"Yeah, right, of course," she tried to sit up, but her head swam, and she felt him beside her again. Why did he always have to do that?

"Well, I think we can officially call that an end to Day One." He laughed, helping her to her feet.

"Yeah, I think so,"

"Come on, I'll take you home," He opened his arms wide.

"Hang on, my bag." She'd dropped it when they'd first arrived, she wasn't sure where.

"I'll find it," Asa said, making sure she was steady before disappearing. Rory was grateful for the momentary relief from his presence. She let out a slow exhale, trying to forget the feeling of him holding her, pressed against her. It had been intoxicating. Was this where the stories of incubi and succubi came from? Damn demons and their damn mana sucking and their damn--

"Got it," He smiled as he handed it to her.

"Ah, thanks,"

"So, shall we?" he extended his arms. She was wary about the transport with her head still swimming, but let him pull her closer, one arm around her back, one holding her head close to his chest. Suddenly in a swirl of color, they were standing beside her car. He let her go, and she took a step back, leaning against the car.

"Well, that obviously could have gone better, but all things considered, you made a good amount of progress, and you seem to be doing alright,"

"Uh-huh," Rory nodded.

"So, same time next week?"

"I start classes next week; my schedule is changing."

"So, when?"

"Uh," she reached for her phone in her bag, which had her calendar on it. "Give me a second," she answered his questioning look.

"Tuesday looks okay," she said finally. "I get off here at two."

"Tuesday, then." He was looking at her a bit too closely for her liking. Like he could see the inner turmoil in her head. "You're going to be okay to drive, right?"

"Of course!" she said, bit too quickly. He smirked at her.

"Alright, little one. I'll see you soon."

"Yeah, see you."

She got into the car, turning it on, and noticed Asa still waiting there. She gave him a questioning look, to which he gestured for her to back up. She rolled her eyes, starting to ease the car out of the parking lot. She could see him disappear in the rear view mirror as she turned on the main street.

"Stupid demon asshole," she muttered, slamming on the accelerator.

*

He stepped briskly along the stone street. The bleak gray sky, normally a comfort to him, made him think almost longingly for the bright blue one he'd just left behind. Brushing the thought aside, he walked quickly, ducking into a side street, and opened a set of cellar doors at the end of the alley. Down the steps, and after whispering a password, Asa descended into the hidden marketplace, bustling with customers in the mid-afternoon

He followed the underground tunnel, around the corner, left, then right, until he found the store he was looking for.

Myron was behind the counter, helping a customer. A few others were lingering around, examining the curiosities placed carefully on glass shelves. When Asa entered, when they saw the eyes he had for Myron, they sped up their browsing considerably, leaving the store without a backward glance.