Chapter 19 - my first threat

I looked at the sketch of the undead mage and felt a mix of fascination and horror. What drove such a being to practice dark magic and threaten the lives of others? The drawing I had made showed the pale features of the mage, his glowing eyes and the aura of darkness that surrounded him. It was a sinister image that gave me goosebumps.

Suddenly, Midnight jumped onto the desk. "What are you doing up so early?" he meowed sleepily. Then his gaze fell on the drawing. "Hmm... a lich. I haven't seen one of those in a long time." I was surprised by Midnight's reaction. "You know what that is?" I asked in surprise. Midnight scratched his neck thoughtfully. "How do I best explain this to you... A lich is the exact opposite of you. While your magic focuses on life, his magic focuses on death. They are also called necromancers."

"But why does it interest you at all?" asked Midnight, who seemed to read my thoughts. "I saw one in a cave here in the woods last night," I confessed to him.

Midnight froze and his expression turned serious. "You did what?! That's not good at all," he muttered worriedly. I sensed a hint of panic in his voice. "Is that monster really so threatening?" I asked, trying to calm my own fears. "Monster? That's one way to call them, but a lich is a person who has lost their humanity because they extended their life through dark magic and magical items," Midnight explained patiently.

I listened intently to his words as he continued. "However, this turned their bodies into dried-out shells, which kept them alive but made it impossible for them to act normally. They are neither dead nor alive. They long for life, which is why they devour all that is living." The grim prospects Midnight described increased my concerns. Whatever lurked in the woods was far more dangerous than I had thought.

As I stood up from the desk, I decided to seek out Tatsuya. Clutching the sketch of the lich tightly in my hand, I left my chambers along with Midnight. The corridor was silent, and the warm rays of the rising morning sun streamed through the windows, bathing the hallway in a gentle light. The air was cool and fresh and my breath formed little clouds of mist in front of me.

With a uneasy feeling in my stomach, I knocked on the door of Tatsuya's chambers and waited for a response. When the door opened, I saw Tatsuya with a sleepy expression on his face. However, my gaze quickly shifted to something else. Tatsuya wore a morning robe, its belt loosely tied around his waist, revealing his chest quite prominently. His nipples were a light brown tone, shimmering in the soft morning light. My eyes continued to wander over his defined pectoral muscles, which ended in a striking eight-pack. Besides his muscles, I also noticed several scars adorning his skin. A sudden rush of heat flooded my face as I realized how intently I was observing him.

 A sudden rush of heat flooded my face as I realized how intently I was observing him

[Should he have a tattoo?]

Tatsuya cleared his throat slightly as he adjusted his morning robe, covering his upper body. "What brings you to me so early?" he asked, his voice snapping me back to reality. I quickly organized myself and handed him the paper with the sketch. "I have important news to report to you," I explained as he invited me in and offered me a seat on his sofa. Without hesitation, I told him about the lich and the mysterious occurrences in the forest.

Tatsuya seemed to be surprised when he heard the news, but his surprise was less about the events themselves and more about the fact that I was already aware of them. He revealed that he had observed similar phenomena in the past and had already made speculations about who might be behind these plotting.

His composure astounded me as he stored the sketch in his desk. "This is not my first and certainly not my last battle," he added calmly. "Be that as it may, I thank you for the information. I'll take care of everything else." With those words, he walked to the door and opened it.

I was still sitting on the sofa. "Is there anything else... or would you like to watch me get dressed?" he said calmly. Embarrassed, I sprang up from the sofa and left the room without making any further eye contact. My cheeks were burning with shame as I placed my hands on them to cool off. Yet, I had so many questions I wanted to ask him. As I looked down, I noticed Midnight waiting for me in the hallway. "You have a strange taste," he remarked, turning his gaze away from me.

If I could influence it, I would. How wonderful it would be if one could choose whom to fall in love with. Then my heart wouldn't beat so wildly when I see him and my thoughts wouldn't be so scattered. But unfortunately, reality is not that simple and my heart had apparently already chosen its own path.

I took a deep breath and walked back to my chambers with Midnight. On the way, I encountered Isabella, who was on her way to wake me up. "You're up early today," she said with a friendly smile. I also told her about the lich. Her reaction was different from Tatsuya's, more horrified. She tried to appear calm, but her eyes reflected her fear. The situation seemed to be more serious than I thought. "I will have breakfast in my study today," I informed Isabella before heading there.

Upon arriving in my study, I decided to prepare some healing potions, so we were ready for any emergency. As I gathered the ingredients and brewed the potions, I noticed that the previously quiet estate had gradually become louder. Voices filtered through the walls softly and occasionally I heard the clinking of dishes or the rustling of clothes. It seemed as if the residents of the estate were slowly stirring, preparing for the upcoming day.

A sense of unease grew within me as I pondered what might lie ahead. The thought of the lich and the mysterious occurrences in the forest kept my senses sharp, and I felt a rising tension in the air.

Midnight, who had not left my side since discovering about the lich, suddenly jumped up, his fur bristling. His gaze turned to the window. When I looked there, I saw a raven. It stared at me and its eyes seemed to peer into the depths of my soul. A shiver ran down my spine as I felt the cold, dark intensity of its gaze. It was only when Midnight chased it away that I noticed there was something frightening about the raven.

The air was filled with an ominous presence thatseemed to suffocate the room. I could see the ribs of the raven shimmeringthrough its feathers - an unmistakable sign that this bird was undead. My heartstarted to beat faster as I tried to understand the significance of thisapparition. Was the lich after us? Was this another sign of the impendingdanger looming over us?

 Was the lich after us? Was this another sign of the impendingdanger looming over us?