The Big Move

It was Christmas in our household, and everyone was over. All of my relatives were happy to see Mia since she got approved for her first cochlear implant surgery in March. I was so excited for her, but nervous about her undergoing such a big surgery.

As usual, we had our Christmas dinner catered. It was an exhausting day of opening up present after present with our whole family. There were over thirty of us this year, which was usually how things went.

My mom wanted to extend a special invite to Chrys as a thank-you for all her help with Mia. She brought her two boys, her mom, her mom's boyfriend Michael, and her little sister Poppy, who had a daughter of her own. Teen pregnancy must run in their family or something. But it was really great to have them all here. Chrys was such an amazing caretaker to Mia. Inviting them for Christmas dinner was the least we could do.

I enjoyed some turkey and mashed potatoes while Mia passed out at her high chair. I'd love to be able to nap in a house full of thirty people. Our family was a pretty noisy one, too.

For dessert we had a whole buffet brought in. There was a sundae bar for the kids, along with cookies, cannolis, tiramisu, flan, and a chocolate fondue fountain.

"I think this is the most amazing Christmas I've ever experienced," Chrys said, helping one of her toddlers dip a marshmallow into the stream of chocolate from the fountain.

"Just enjoy it. You deserve it," I said to her.

After dessert, everyone started to head home. Chrys offered to give Mia a bath while I helped my mom mop up the floors, but I told her there was absolutely no way she was working on Christmas Day.

Once everyone was home and the floors were mopped, I went back into the kitchen and started wrapping up all the leftovers with my mom. She was already unrolling the cling wrap.

"So that went well," she said, covering up a plate of cookies.

"Yup, another big, crazy Andrews Christmas," I said.

"So, speaking of crazy, I wanted to talk to you about something. I'll put on some cocoa."

"I-I'm confused."

She sighed, grabbed two mugs full of hot chocolate, and sat down at the table. I sat down across from her with Mia on my lap.

"I got a big opportunity and I wanted to get your opinion on it," she said, taking a sip from her "#1 Granny" mug.

"Uh...okay? What kind of opportunity are we talking here?"

"My friend Katie in the city; her partner is retiring this year. She's looking for someone to join her in the practice so she doesn't lose all of his patients. She needs someone to run it with her."

"Oh, that's awesome. But...what does that mean for us?" I asked.

"Well, it means a lot of good things for me, at least. I can finally get away from the grip of Mackenzie's family at work. I can sell the office and finally leave all her drama behind. Would you and Mia want to stay up here?"

I shook my head. "No way would we let you move by yourself! I'd definitely want to go with you. There's so many more opportunities down there than up here for me in the dance and theater business anyway."

"There's also opportunities for Miss Mia, too. I looked it up, and one of the best deaf schools in the world, the Lexington School for the Deaf, is right in Queens, which is where I'd be looking to move."

"And we'd be right near Aunt Mandy, so we could see her more!" I said. "The part about the deaf school is even better. She'd be around kids that are just like her."

"Are you sure you're okay with making such a big move? Oak Falls is all you've known for most of your life?" my mom asked.

"Yeah but as a performer, there's not a ton of stuff available to me anyways," I said. "I've been procrastinating, but I'll actually get moving in terms of scheduling auditions down there."

"Just remember, you shouldn't audition for the Joffrey Ballet School just because it was on Dance Moms. I know you really don't like ballet, even though it's what you're best at."

I rolled my eyes. "Imma do it anyway, just for the meme. I'm sure there's no way I'll get in there. I'm just a girl from Oak Falls. I know I'm good and I win all the time, but I don't think I'll ever be Joffrey Ballet good."

* * *

Boy, did I eat those words. I ate them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I went to the Joffrey audition in February, and it was surreal. I had some private lessons beforehand to prepare, and the judges seemed happy once I was done with the two pieces I performed. I only got one correction during the technique exam.

I got my acceptance email a week later. I was going into their four-year contemporary/jazz traineeship program. By doing the program, I'd also be able to do classes to receive a bachelor's in dance. I didn't really care about the degree. I was just there to dance and get famous.

I was really worried about the rigorous schedule, and I even asked Chrys if she wanted to move out with us to the big city so she could watch Mia. She politely declined, and we started the search for a brand-new nanny. My mom would be busy at her new practice, and I'd be eating, sleeping, and breathing dance. I was a little worried about pulling this whole thing off, but I was me: Denali. I'd always be able to do it all.