8.2 | Fire Hazard

The conversation left Valarie feeling like her entire body was buzzing

The conversation left Valarie feeling like her entire body was buzzing. A smile found its way to her face every time her mind wandered back to their talk, even as she sat down to watch her nightly infomercials.

However, the feeling didn't last. Nonno woke up and begged, begged to be taken home no matter how many times Valarie told him he was already home. He fought her on everything she said. They called each other crazy. Eventually, he exhausted himself and allowed her to tuck him back into bed, leaving Valarie alone to her silence and an unfinished Hamlet essay and a mind that wouldn't just stay still.

By the time she got Theo's text a little after 1 am, she didn't even have the grace to feel embarrassed about the wave of relief that crashed over her. It wasn't a good night to be alone, and if she had to be lonely, she may as well be lonely with Theo.

When she undid the dog leash around the front door handles, Theo walked in wearing a hoodie and sweatpants. "What is that?"

"Nonno's been wandering more often lately so I had to do something because I can't be watching him every second. The leash confuses him too much, and he can't open the door and walk into the street."

Theo looked at Valarie with something weird in her expression. She knew it wasn't pity because if there was one thing she could rely on Theo for, it was that she didn't really give a fuck. Still, Valarie couldn't read the look on her face. "That seems like a fire hazard," Theo said, after a brief pause.

"Do you have any other suggestions?"

"Nope." After Valarie closed the door and secured the leash back in place, Theo took her hand and started leading them towards Valarie's bedroom.

"Party at your house?"

"Always," Theo said. Her hair was loose and her cheeks were rosy with the cool night air from her walk across the street. "I can't fucking sleep, and my dad has his gropey, junkie friends over. What else is new?" When they entered the darkened bedroom, Theo placed a hand on Valarie's collarbone, fingers skimming the hollow of her throat, and backed her towards the bed. "Wouldn't it be fun to call the cops on them later?"

"Jared said you were fighting with your dad." The back of Valarie's knees hit the mattress, and Theo guided her to lay flat on her back. "You know, you can talk to me if–"

"Why would I do that?" Theo climbed onto the bed and straddled Valarie's hips. "Can we please stop talking about my dad now? Kind of a mood killer."

"Yeah, I mean–"

"Just shut up already, Val." Theo's mouth pressed against her neck as her hands began to travel to Valarie's waistband.

"Yeah," she said, her stomach spasming at the touch. "I can do that."

Valarie's breath soon hitched into shallow gasps, and then there wasn't really much to say at all.