Story Of My Life

Once more, I thought, glaring at my colleague Bianca. Mention them once more and I will ram neon plastic balls down your throat. Or suspend you upside down from one of the climbing frames until your face is puce. Or lock you in a party room full of five year olds who've just overdosed on sugar and are bouncing off the walls.

"What do you think Em?" she said, taking money from a stressed-looking woman who was trying to keep six excited toddlers under control. "Should I get my nails done with the One Direction motif or pix of the guys?"

"Does it make any difference?" I said, somewhat curtly as I carefully stamped the hands of the youngsters lining up to get into the Enchanted Forest, the indoor fantasy-themed playground where we worked. If she said one more thing about One Direction I just might not be responsible for my actions.

Bianca pouted. "Well, what if I get to meet them? I think they'd be more impressed by pictures of themselves, don't you?"

"I don't really think you are going to get to meet them," I said, pushing the button to open the gate that let the kids into the play area. "There are going to be 50,000 people at the concert. Your chances are pretty slim."

"Yeah, but I'm in the VIP area right down at the front. You never know. Remember that time Harry spotted two sisters sitting the front at a concert and got one of the security guys to set up a date with them after the show? It could happen."

"Yeah maybe," I said, adding under my breath, "and that was just a pig that flew past the window."

Bianca didn't hear that last comment, which was just as well. She might have been an annoying, mouthy bitch who didn't have a sensitive bone in her body, but she was also the boss's daughter, and the last thing I wanted was to lose my job because I'd been rude to her.

I turned to the next group of children champing at the bit to get into The Enchanted Forest, and concentrated on stamping their hands, while she wittered on about what she was going to wear to the concert that night. It was just as well I was busy because it kept me from throttling her.

I wasn't normally that bitchy but the problem was, I was just so jealous. If it really had been possible for envy to turn you green I'd have been the same colour as Shrek. I was a huge One Direction fan and had been since the early days of The X Factor, yet I wasn't going to the concert. I hadn't been able to afford the ticket. I was a uni student with a part-time job that barely covered my expenses as it was. My mum was a single parent with a poorly-paid job and three other kids. Money was tight. Concert tickets were an extravagance we couldn't afford.

When I'd heard about their latest tour I'd started saving my money, determined to go because I had missed out on the previous ones. I'd got to £60 and then the car had broken down and Mum didn't have enough money to pay for a new cam shaft. I told her it was OK as I handed over the cash to help towards it, I'd be able to save some more, but I knew that was out of the question. I had text books to buy and a field trip to pay for. I could get some extra shifts at the Enchanted Forest but I wasn't going to be able to save much. And then tickets sold out anyway. There was no way I was going to One Direction.

Bianca knew how devastated I was but it didn't stop her going on about the concert - her VIP ticket came courtesy of her rich dad - and how fantastic it was going to be. For the last couple of months it had been all she talked about, and I'd had enough. I had tried to ignore her, but with the concert that night, her excitement had reached fever pitch and she'd been going on about it non-stop all morning, without considering how I might feel. Every time I heard the words One Direction I felt sick. They were in town, and I wasn't going to see them.

"OK, so it's nearly midday. I'm going to go in 10 minutes," said Bianca, checking her watch. "I need plenty of time to get my nails done and then get home and get ready. I can't wait to get out of this hideous uniform."