Dos

When Catalina reached Shady Springs, the sun had already long set behind the horizon, turning the sky an inky black like that of a raven's feather. The only light came from the bonfire in the middle of the town's square, its logs shooting out orange sparks before being carried off into the the night by the howling wind.

Coming to a stop beside the fire, she placed her hands out, trying to capture as much of the fleeting heat as possible. The happy tune of a piano floated through the night, filling the lonesome silence with the promise of whiskey and women close by.

"C'mon, Cortez." Catalina gave her horse a gentle pull, guiding him towards the saloon across the street paved in the dirt. Light poured out from its many windows along with the drunk laughter of its patrons, growing louder as the stallion trotted closer.

"Stay here," she ordered, caressing his black locks. "I'll be back soon." With no rope to tie him with, Catalina had no choice but to leave him with the other horses. She only hoped no one would steal him in her absence. But with the rowdy lot that frequented this place, that was probably too much to hope for.

"Tienes que ser valiente," Catalina whispered to herself as she stood right outside the doors. Inhaling one final breath, she gave the swinging doors a push and stepped inside.

Everyone's head turned instantly- their eyes narrowing at the girl as she crossed the wooden floorboards towards the bar. Even the music had come to an abrupt stop as all eyes fell on Catalina.

Although she kept her gaze steady and straight-ahead, Catalina could feel her entire body trembling. Desperately in need of something to hold, she clutched the hem of her cardigan in her fist. By the time she reached the empty stool, she felt as though she walked the entire Chihuahuan Desert.

"What will it be?" The bartender slammed his hand on the mahogany countertop, startling her.

"I-uh." She gulped. "I don't need a drink-"

"Then what are you doing here?" The permanent scowl on his face seemed to cave in deeper. "If you're not buying, get out of here!"

"I just need to make an announcement, and then I'll leave." Catalina tried to reassure the man. "Trust me, I want to get out of here as much as you want me to-"

The sudden grip on her shoulder made her stop. Whipping her head around, Catalina turned to see the filthy hand belonging to one of the meanest and ugliest men she had ever laid eyes on. His black hair was to his shoulders, looking as if it hadn't been washed in years- as did the rest of him.

"This ain't no place for little girls," he hissed into her ear.

"I am aware of that." She met his steely gaze. "I just want to say something first."

"And what would that be?" Another man- one not as ugly but just as mean-looking, slid into the stool beside her.

Clearing her throat, Catalina slowly rose to her shaking feet and turned around towards the rest of the gawking patrons. "An animal attacked my family's goats last night. All of their blood was drained from their throats. I don't know what kind of animal could do something like this, but maybe one of you might. That is why I'm here. I need someone who can help track the animal and kill it."

Other than the sound of someone coughing, everyone remained as silent as the dead. As their stares remained fixed on her, Catalina could feel her face growing hot as if it was on fire.

This had been a mistake.

The ugly man roared with laughter. "See, little girl. This ain't no place for you."

The other man brushed his greasy, blond strands out of his blue eyes as he leered at her. "This ain't no place for spics."

Feeling as if she had been slapped in the face, Catalina lurched for the door. But before she could even hop off the stool, a pair of hands shot out and held her in place.