21. FIVE DOWN

It was time for a new email address.

As stupid as it seemed, this thing about writing emails behind a false identity was actually fun. Given that I had no credibility as Selene Chan, loner and weirdo of Rifton Girls' High, taking on a new identity, whether it be anonymous vigilante who sent cryptic texts or my multiple 'prim-and-proper' old lady characters, gave me a new kind of power over the recipients. After all, if they didn't know who was behind the screen, they would have to give me a chance and swallow the bitter pills I had.

In order to appeal to Sarah Anderson, I decided to make it a Marvel-themed email, complete with a profile picture of Tony Stark because he'd apparently sacrificed himself in the recent movie which had way too much hype. I'd heard her discussing it with some of the K-Pop Kids before - a deviation from the no-distraction thing, but allowed by Julie nonetheless - and she seemed like one of those emotional fans. If the use of pathos had to be summoned, then so be it.

Hi Sarah, 

I swapped notebooks with Julie Quinton by accident in school, and just realised that it's her journal/diary. I was planning to return it to her myself, but a few discoveries have forced me to communicate with you first.

Firstly, I must apologise for invading her privacy, regardless of whether it was accidental. The wind blew, the pages flipped and I noticed some entries that were particularly... controversial in nature. I'm aware that this is none of my business, but as a fellow student, I hate to see a peer trapped in an unhealthy friendship. 

Attached below are some photographs I have taken for your reference. Whether or not you believe me and however you choose to utilise this information, it is completely your choice to make.

I will return the journal soon. 

- K 

PS. I hope you can keep the details of our conversation private, for my intentions may be misread to sow discord. All I wanted was to share this, as I thought it would benefit you to be aware.

K for Karma. And the sparkle emoji for a touch of that 'uwu' energy.

I attached the photos and pressed the send button.

Hopefully, I hadn't majorly ruined everything for me.

But hey, it didn't matter - in a few weeks, all of this would be behind me, just history.

Hi, 

Thanks for letting me know. Do you mind passing the journal to me so that I can give it back to Julie myself? There are a few things that I'd like to confirm for myself.

Yours faithfully, 
Sarah Anderson

I raised my eyebrows at the default sign-off and clicked the on-off button of my phone, slipping it in the pocket hidden within the folds of the school pleat skirt.