|47|

Do not go gentle into the night. 

RAGE, RAGE.

Against the dying of the light. 

~Dyland Thomas 

***

What are you going to paint Lexie?

A cloud.

Good. Good Lexie. Tell me. Describe to me how you'll paint the cloud.

Blue. I would start with a pale blue for the sky.

What next Lexie.

You wouldn't expect it, but I would dab the middle with grey. A dark grey, to create the background of the cloud.

Go on.

It will make shadows. And be the underside. Then I would add the white. I would put it above the grey and bring it down to mix the colors.

And then?

White. I would need pure white. I would clean my brush. Or maybe get another one. A smaller one that had thicker blend to it. And I would add the pure white.

Good Lexie. Good. Keep thinking of that. Keep thinking of that cloud for later. For when you get back to your paints.

Okay.

***

I open my eyes, taking in the surface of the concrete ceiling.

Clouds.

I envied clouds.

No one could touch them.

They were always so high up. So free.

I turn my head to the sound of the door opening.

It occurs to me then that I've not eaten in the past days.

I figured, since I've already thrown up in the room, Cal could handle any other of my body's fluids. And no one had taken me to the restroom. I ignored the smell from the corner. It didn't matter anyway.

The door continues to open until it's fully ajar. Cal stands there, smiling down at me.

I don't move.

Part of it is because I am weak.

Weak from hunger and dizzy from the pain on my face and in my body.

"Maya," he walks closer. He doesn't comment on the smell. His eyes never leave my face.

In one motion he is on top of me, straddling me.

I gasp and jerk away, shuddering from the feel of him. From the pressing weight of his body on mine.

"Maya, I've waited long enough."

I can't help it.

Even though I know it will make him happy, I still feel tears roll down my face.

He sighs and leans forward, scooping the liquid up with his tongue, the rough texture scraping away my composure.

"You are so beautiful when you cry."

I shiver at his words.

He rips away the rest of my coat, exposing me.

I thrash under, trying to get him out- away- anything.

But he grabs my hands, pinning me down and to my horror is pulling off my winter gloves, exposing my paint stains for his eyes to see.