22

Erin

Time passes sometimes without us noticing. Life is boring and it's not a bad thing to those who have ever experienced true hardships or heartaches. I watched the months pass with a sort of tired contentment. I lived each day nearly the same as the next and the last. I celebrated the lack of excitement because it gave me steady happiness that I didn't know I was wishing for. People loved me, hated me or didn't know I existed... and I was okay with that.

Maybe it was because I finally felt like I was where I belonged. I had a job I liked, a man I love and the support of some amazing people. There was Max, my grandfather, and now a whole bunch of Damien's family who all called, texted and generally made sure that we were alive and well. It was both irritating and endearing in turns, depending on what I was trying to do at the time.

That's why when it finally happened, I wasn't expecting it. I was just cruising through the time and enjoying the peace. The day started off the same as any other day. I woke up, brushed my teeth, went to the bathroom and got ready for work. Breakfast was delivered by an extremely handsome man (wink, wink) and my chauffer was the same wonderful boyfriend who made me feel like a princess.

Never minding that it was my turn to get lunch, he hopped out to the café when he saw the fresh pile of papers that George delivered just before he got there. I smiled sickly at the kindness and dug into the stack of documents to be signed with reluctant diligence. I almost didn't notice when he walked into my office again and set my lunch down on the side of my desk. It was as he leaned in for his kiss that I sighed and leaned back to receive it with relief.

"Hey sweetness, you should stop and eat. You want some company?" He asked after a nice little peck on the lips. I nodded and rolled over to the side to grab my container. It was lighter than I thought it should be and looked at him curiously. He just smiled innocently and pulled up a chair with the rest of the food in a bag near his feet. I pouted at him as I opened the container and saw a salad instead of the pasta I really wanted. I know I told him I was having the pesto bowties today.

"What's going on? I thought I told you what I wanted earlier." I sighed as he grinned at me. He grabbed another container from the pile and slid it over to me.

"Sorry, I must've gotten that one confused. Try this one." It was light as well, but I opened it to see what was inside. There wasn't any food. In the middle of the container was a small blue felt box. Oh my God. My hand started to shake as I reached inside and pulled it off the bottom. The tape stayed stuck to the box as it dropped from my hand.

"What... ?" I couldn't even finish my sentence.

"Open it." He raised his eyebrow at me. I tried to, but my hands were shaking really badly. So he grabbed it and opened it for me. At which point I let out a strange sort of keening sound and slammed it on his finger. He suddenly looked worried. "Don't you like it? I... I can get a different one..."

"NO!" I shrieked, grabbing onto his neck in a death grip and sobbing loudly onto his shoulder, "Don't, I'm not, it's perfect." I managed to get out into his neck. I sniffed loudly and popped the box back open to look at the shiny new ring laying inside on a black pillow. I snapped it shut again and squeezed onto the man who was now laughing at my reaction.

"You know you should probably let go a little so you don't suffocate me before I even get a chance to ask you." He murmured into my ear, making me shiver a little and loosen my hold. I wiped my nose and leaned back to see his beautiful worried face.

"Sorry." I grabbed the tissue he held out and grinned as he pulled me onto his lap. He opened the box once more, took the ring out, and turned his face up to mine.