The Magdalen

Prologue

27 A.D., Bethany

John knew her worth, and although he disliked women to the point of thinking they were not entitled to salvation, of the Kingdom of God, he still comes to her to perform the duties vested upon husbands.

"At least kiss me, husband.  Even though we barely see each other we need to build affection for one another, that is, if you want us to build a family."

John had a disgusted look in his face,

"You whore! You are trying to seduce me into sin.  I'm here so that we may have a son, not to play around with you.  Now lie down."

Mary thought she could not bear the aversion this man has against her.  Forced into marriage with the older cousin of the Son of the Lion, she only closed her eyes and followed what was commanded of her.

This was only the second time that she saw John, who called the Baptizer.  The first time was in their day of marriage, and his constant lecture on being a proper wife to him always followed.  She could not place how she earned his hatred, his gruff tone and rough words.

"There will be a time when you will ask for me, and I shall never come for you.  But I will still pray for you, as it is my duty to do so." she said, while John comes to their bed with sheets of sack cloth.  He insisted they use no luxury, and live in poverty all their life.  Mary was not accustomed to this arrangement, because Lazarus provided her with every comfort available.  But then she is no longer under his care, so she must be resigned to her fate.

"A whore indeed!" remarked John, "Wait until I part them for you.  Don't be a Jezebel and shame me."

She was happy these encounters infrequently happen, because however good she was to him, he still still managed to find fault in her.

"As you wish, John."

She lied straight on her back stiff to spite her hard to please husband.