29. dancing was never my thing

P R O M

I knew he wouldn't leave me stranded at the hospital.

Somehow I made it through four days of visiting Aspen and forgetting my brother to keep myself sane. I stayed with Axel and it gave us lots of chances to practice kissing while we slept in the same bed. It didn't get any further than that, though, which made me angry but content at the same time.

I've never really dated anyone before. I've never really felt the way Axel makes me feel around anyone else.

When I'm around him, I get so nervous that it makes me happy. My whole body flushes red, especially my cheeks, and I can't help but smile.

Before this, I used to think that I would be the person causing someone else to feel the way I do. I guess not, because I'm wrapped around his finger.

It was the night of prom and my stomach churned with anticipation and nerves. Axel and I were getting ready in his room, adjusting bow ties and polishing shoes.

"As the official gay couple of Brookland High, we have to look our abosolute best," Axel boasted while he focused on polishing his left shoe to a glimmering shine.

"That's just a stereotype, you know. Not all gay people have to look and dress well all the time. Have you ever seen me at school?" I added, reminiscing on my five year old jeans and semi-ripped shirts.

Axel stopped polishing and cocked his head in my direction. He was bending over the side of his bed which made his cheeks turn red from the pressure, "I want it to be our stereotype tonight."

I rolled my eyes. I never got what the big deal was about looking "good." Sure, it makes you a little bit more aesthetically pleasing, but that's not really what I care about. If I start to fall asleep while you talk to me, it doesn't matter what you look like.

The only people I'd let talk me to sleep would be Axel, Johnny Depp, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

"I'm just saying," Axel nudged in again which interrupted my thoughts, "we just have to look decent."

I rolled my eyes again, "Decent is very different from person to person."

At this point, I could tell Axel was getting annoyed with me, and it was honestly really cute.

"Don't make me mess up your tuxedo this early," he warned me with a stern tone.

I nodded and kept my mouth shut, pretending to lock my lips as I threw the key out his window.

A few seconds later, April knocked on Axel's door, "Ten minutes, you guys!"

Her voice sounded extremely optimistic and hopeful. I guess she was re-living her prom days vicariously through us.

One thing I have noticed since staying with Axel's family was Robbie's distance he kept between us.

It was a little awkward at dinners and he never came up to me to address any personal issues he might (actually, I know he has issues with me) have. I know the culprit is probably Devian, but maybe he doesn't like having me with his son all the time.

I adverted my thoughts back to reality to watch Axel fix his hair in the mirror. It didn't even need to be fixed because he was ultimately perfect in my eyes.