16. Tour Of The House

Khalid insisted that we start at the front of the house.

"My father built this house about forty years ago," he said as he guided me through the front gardens.

"I see," I replied.

"He made sure that only the best architects, designers, and developers were part of building this place," Khalid continued.

He bent down towards a white rose bush, plucked a blossom, and then got down on one knee, raising the beautiful rose to me.

"For you, my lady," he said.

I blushed. "Thank you," I said, taking it from him.

"I like the water fountain," I commented as we passed by it, the water splashing softly.

He grinned. "It's quite lovely, isn't it? My father used to sit in front of the house and stare at the fountain towards the end of his days."

His face clouded over.

"Were you both close?" I asked, gently squeezing his hand.

"We were," he said. "He taught me everything I know."

"May I ask what happened, Khalid?" I asked.

Khalid looked towards the house, his gaze distant. "He got leukemia," he said after a while.

I felt like I had swallowed a heavy stone. "I'm really sorry," I said. "May Allah bless him with Jannatul Firdous."

He sighed, then looked at me and smiled.

"Let's continue with the tour of the house, shall we?" he said, leading me through the front doors.

Still trying to digest what he had said about his father, I nodded.

"As you know, the left passage leads to the kitchen and dining room. If you go further past there, there's a gym and an indoor pool."

I nodded again.

"Come," he said, leading me into the kitchen.

In the chic kitchen, modern elegance abounded. High ceilings and ample windows flooded the space with light, highlighting sleek marble countertops and dark wood cabinets. Stainless steel appliances gleamed beneath soft lighting, while a central island, topped with granite, invited gathering. A mosaic backsplash added a pop of color to this sophisticated yet inviting space.

He watched as I took it all in.

"Do you cook?" he asked.

I blushed. "Not really," I said.

"That's okay," he smiled. "Maria is here to make anything you like. Just give her a heads up an hour or two before. If you feel like having takeout, feel free to order whatever you want," he said.

"Ah, that reminds me," he continued, taking out his wallet and handing me a card. "Keep this with you. Use this for any purchases, okay?"

I blushed deeper. "That's really sweet of you, but—"

"Tut tut," he said, cutting me off. "No buts. You are my wife, and only the best for you. Do not hesitate to buy anything you want."

"Thank you so much. That's really thoughtful," I said, blushing slightly.

He placed his hand gently on the small of my back and guided me past the dining room, leading me towards the indoor gym.

The indoor gym, spacious with high ceilings and ample natural light, featured a massive flat screen for workout tutorials and soft, shock-absorbing mats covering the floor. State-of-the-art cardio machines lined one wall, while an array of weights, from light dumbbells to heavy barbells, were neatly organized on the opposite side. In a corner, resistance bands, kettlebells, and medicine balls offered additional workout options, making it a comprehensive fitness space that blends functionality with comfort.