1. The Nikah Boxes

(Please read prologue if you haven't for you will then have an understanding of Zahra's relationship with Amir.)

"Hey, birthday girl", my beautiful cousin sister, Hafsa, said. She was sitting on the couch, looking tired but radiant. She held her hands upright as to not ruin the bridal henna that had been so beautifully adorned by two henna artists. Her wedding was to be in two days, and she was beaming. Her mother, my aunt Naseema, would come occasionally with a steaming jug of clove water and make Hafsa hold her hands over the steam. This, she said, was done so that the color of the henna stain would turn a rich maroon color.

"Come sit here," she said, nodding towards the seat next to her. "Hey, bride," I said in contradiction. "How does it feel to be a whole bride?" I asked. She laughed and said, "I feel like I am floating. How does it feel to be 25?" she laughed. "I can't believe you are older than me but I am getting married first." I laughed at that and said, "I don't see you complaining though. You seem very comfortable."

She grinned. "I mean, he's hot," she remarked. I returned her smile. Her happiness was palpable, and I genuinely shared in her joy. Personally, I wasn't in a hurry to tie the knot, and I skillfully dodged inquiries from nosy aunties about my own marital prospects.

"He's coming to see me today," she announced.

"Oh, is that so?" I replied.

"Yes, he was supposed to come earlier, but a good friend of his was arriving from Qatar, so he went to welcome him at the airport," she explained.

"Someones excited," I quipped teasingly, observing the rosy tint that spread across her cheeks. Her bashful reaction elicited a light chuckle from me. Hafsa, my cousin, stood as my junior, at 21, while I, at 25, occupied the elder role.

"Zahra," my mom called out sternly. "Come help the aunties prepare the nikah boxes. There's so much to be done. Don't sit around talking," she chided.

Obediently, I rose from my seat and made my way to the group of ladies who were bustling with activity, gossiping as they delicately arranged various treats into beautifully folded boxes. The boxes themselves were a pristine white, adorned with cream-colored embossing that added an elegant touch.

Each box held a selection of delights: three dates, a beef samosa, a small chicken pastry, a vanilla cupcake intricately decorated with floral buttercream, and a tiny ziplock bag of palm sugar pieces. These carefully curated treats would be distributed to the men attending Hafsa's nikah ceremony at the mosque the following day.

As I joined the assembly of aunties, each of us was tasked with adding one item to the box before passing it along to the next lady, ensuring that each box was filled with an array of delectable treats for the guests to enjoy.

As I assisted in sealing each box, my mother's sister teasingly inquired, "When are you planning to get married?"

Drawing in a deep breath, I braced myself for the inevitable barrage of questions that would follow in the coming days. With a gentle smile, I replied, "We'll see."

She chuckled, proceeding to jest, "I advised her mom to marry her off first and then let her pursue university, but she didn't listen. Now she's grown older, and no one wants an old bride."

Before I could respond, one of my elder cousins named Asia, interjected, asserting, "Excuse me, 25 is hardly old. Besides, she already holds a bachelor's degree. I can't say the same for many of you here. She'll tie the knot when the time is right, so let's refrain from meddling in other people's affairs."

In that moment, I felt a surge of gratitude towards my cousin for her supportive stance.

"Hey, come over here and lend a hand with these boxes," Asia called out, beckoning me eagerly. Hastily, I joined in, relieved to escape the clutches of the chatty aunties and immerse myself in a crowd that seemed more in tune with my youth. While I wasn't familiar with every girl in the group, I recognized them as cousins hailing from various corners of Sri Lanka, all gathered to celebrate Hafsa's wedding.