10

Word Count: 3261

~Alvera

I gape upward, my jaw aching as my mouth stands open.

The Alpha King's mansion is incredible. It exceeds my expectations in every possible way.

It stands multiple stories tall, with cylinder spires on either side reaching up toward the sky, disappearing past the tree line. This is clearly half fortress half palace, with thick chunks of solid grey stone being used to build the foundation and walls.

Despite its magnificence, it's centuries old.

Vines crawl up the brick, nestling into cracks, sprouting vivid purple flowers as they curve through the broken glass and inside. Thick clumps of dark green moss sprout from between bricks, while trees gnarled branches press toward the steep roof threateningly.

Time has eroded much of its splendor, but it stands in remarkable shape despite all it has weathered.

"Holy fuck. It's massive," I murmur, my words being carried away by the brittle dusk breeze. It carries a warning of rain that is to fall, the clouds looming dangerous low.

"How did they keep this from everyone?" Eldon asks.

"Legend and myth deterred most," Venn explains. "The local government did the rest."

I press my mouth closed, ignoring the uneasy feeling prickling across my skin. We aren't supposed to be here. The ghosts of werewolves past likely still wander the great halls of this building, vengeful and aching for human blood to be spilt.

"We are violating like ten laws right now. Apparently this area is too close to the border, making it dangerous for humans," I say.

"It's all dirty fucking lies," Venn mutters distastefully. "They wouldn't be foolish enough to breach the terms of the treaty. If they did, they would lose this land forever."

Instead of regrouping, strategizing then waging war on humans again, the werewolves bided their time. They knew their ancestral line would command these woods once again in due time.

"So where did the werewolves go all those years ago?" Eldon questions.

I look over at him. His cheeks are flushed and his eyes are red. He's been drinking, and not slowly either.

"They split off into different packs. It's estimated that only half of the original pack will return, as most have integrated into the government accepted packs elsewhere," Venn tells him.

Eldon's brows draw together. "Why be afraid if there's only a handful of them?"

"It's more than that, Eldon," I tell him flatly. "We are talking about hundreds, if not thousands. The largest pack that has ever existed resided here. Half of that number is still more than most."

He pales, looking down at the bottle in his hand. He probably contemplating taking back his offer to stay here with me if we don't find Belle.

"Okay yeah, that's terrifying."

"You should stop drinking now. You'll need to be coherent to make it back to the car with the storm overhead," Venn warns.

"I'm fine. I hold my liquor." He burps. "...Excellently."

I ignore him, wading through the thigh length grass toward the front door. The entire building has been overcome by nature, which becomes more apparent as Venn heaves open the sweeping wooden door, revealing the grand hall.

My breath hitches as we wander in. Irreputable damage has been inflicted on much of the space, as solid tree roots bulge through the flagstone flooring, chunks of it littered about carelessly.