Used To Be

∆

Once. Twice. Matthew put his key in, locked his door, and pulled out the key, positioning it in the leather satchel he had strung around himself. Grasping his cloth tightly in one hand he began to walk to the center city of Capernaum, inhaling the strong scent of sand.

Men and women wearing all sorts of bright fabrics and hats scurried by to do their duties selling fabrics, fishing, cutting and shaping wood, and many other things.
A Roman soldier patrolled the area, fiddling with his sword every so often, scanning the people in case one would break a rule so he could chastise them, itching to abuse the little power he was supplied with.

A woman with a child walked past and she looked Matthew over and scowled, bringing the child closer, eyeing his rich clothing.

He lowered his head and kept walking, rushing along to hopefully make it in time to where the rest were. Philip had said to meet at Simon Peter's house, so that's where he was headed.

But first, since his throat was so dry, he needed to refill his small flask of water.

                                                      𓆝

Setting down his flask with a sigh, Matthew tied the coarse rope around the bucket lying next to the well and tucked his cloth into his satchel for the time being.

He hated the rough texture of the twine across his fingers, he would never get used to it.

For so long he hadn't needed to do anything for himself that now it felt strange.

But also, it made him feel better.
Like he could do something, and no one would have to help.

Like he wasn't useless.

When the bucket hit the water, he dipped it in just enough so that the portion of liquid would be close to perfect. His arms rebelled against the bucket's weight as he pulled it up and he grunted.

"Matthew?" Someone asked, setting a jug down on the edge of the well beside him.

He almost dropped the rope holding the bucket. "Mary?" Quickly, he regained correct posture and continued pulling up his bucket full of water.

"I did not expect to see you here, Matthew."

"Nor did I."

She crinkled her nose, "You did not expect to see yourself here?"

He shook his head at himself, "No. What I meant to say is that I did not expect to see you here."

Laughing, Mary began binding a rope around the mouth of her jug, "Ah. I see." Then she dropped the jug into the water slowly.

As she gradually allowed her pitcher to reach the water line in the well, Matthew pulled his up onto the stone edge.

He poured the water into the flask cleanly and then fastened it with one push, and then another, just to be sure.

Suddenly he felt a bit nervous, "We are still meeting at Simon Peter's house, yes?" Phillip had been pretty clear with his instructions before he left on his errand, but there was always a very probable chance that the rest would change their plans and not tell him.

"Of course," She leaned forward a bit to collect the water in her jar and then she tugged hard at the cord to begin lugging it back up, "If we changed the meeting place, I would make sure to tell you." There was a strain in her voice.

His chest felt warm at the thought of Mary doing that for him.

"Do you need my assistance?" Matthew asked, intently watching as she used all her strength to grasp the twine.