Twenty-One

The mailbox's old hinges squeaked as I yanked on the handle to the door. The door fell open with a loud swoop and clattered against the metal connecting to it.

"Hmm. . ." I stared into the empty void.

Nothing.

My eyes swept the area to find the streets were just as empty. Not to mention, quiet. Did Byron pass through here already? Was I gone for long? Nah, couldn't have been that long.

I checked the time on my phone.

Ehh, I was only gone for two hours—at most. I shrugged and closed the mailbox, then headed towards the front door of my house. Running water and dishes clashing together greeted me upon entering. Sounded like my mother was doing some cleaning.

I yelled, "Mom!? Did Byron stop by already?"

The clashing came to a halt. "He did!"

"Was there any mail?" I stopped at the kitchen entrance. As I suspected, she had on a pair of light blue gloves—the kind she used when she was deep in a long cleaning session. Which meant, she was trying to distract herself. Which also meant, there was a lot on her mind. No doubt because of the fucked-up situation that's been at hand for the past few weeks.

"Nothing for you, if that's what you're wondering." She let out what sounded like a relieved breath. I frowned. Nothing for me? In hindsight, that'd be a great thing. But I couldn't convince myself to see it that way for several reasons.

When was the last time I got mail? It was starting to feel like a century ago. Ever since that fiasco at Robert's house and Courtney's body turning up dead, my stalker went quiet. I'd like to think maybe they realized things were too heated for them to make a move right now. But honestly, I didn't think that was the case at all. What if they were plotting something else? Something bigger. Anything was possible in my stalker's game.

I was so deep in my head, I didn't realize my mother was slowly approaching me. She pinched my cheek. I reeled back and cringed. She chuckled.

"Try not to overthink it, Ty." She sighed.

"How can I not?" I muttered.

"Tyler." Her volume lowered into her warning tone.

I held up my hands as if to wave my white flag before she laid down the hammer.

"Good." She nodded her head in approval. "Now head upstairs and keep yourself busy before I find something for you to do down here." In other words, get out of my cleaning space before I make you clean too. Ha! She didn't have to tell me twice. I was already gone.

As I dumped my crap out on the bed and got undressed, I stared out the window. More out of habit than anything. I was starting to think maybe that was a good habit too—because the shiny black sports car pulling up beside Robert's house fascinated me.

Not because it was a car no one in this neighborhood could afford. But because it was a car I knew Robert damn well wouldn't drive even if he could afford it. He just didn't seem like that type of guy. And I'd bet my life's savings (which wasn't much) that he wasn't friends with the person in the car either. Not even an acquaintance.

My stomach churned with anticipation as the driver door opened. A man in—what looked like—an expensive gray suit stepped out of the car. I waited for the man to turn his face. But he took his sweet time. Geez, couldn't he move any faster? Just then, I got what I wanted.

My breath hitched.

Sterling?

It wasn't hard to tell that it was him. After all, nothing much changed. He just wore lavish items now and had a chubbier face. He gained a little bit of weight as he aged. But it seemed like he still kept himself in proper shape. Seriously? What was he doing here?