Chapter 9 - Harlie

I pull the two packages from the slot, tuck the smaller one under my arm, and unwrap the larger one while I step toward Jokur. When I reach him, his size overwhelms me.

Last night fooled me into forgetting how massive he is, but he towers over me now. I swallow my nerves and rise onto the tip of my toes to offer him a bite of the meal bar.

As unappetizing as they may be, I'd prefer them over most meals served in the cafeteria.

He doesn't open his mouth.

I lower to the soles of my feet and step back.

"You eat first," he demands.

I dart a glance at the mirror and offer him the food again, but he refuses to open his mouth.

When I pull the smaller package from under my arm and peel the wrapping off, relief gentles his expression, but my collar buzzes as I lift the meal bar to my mouth. With it halfway to my face, I pause and meet his gaze.

Fury tightens his visage. He opens his mouth.

I keep my food poised a few inches from my lips while I offer him his. He accepts despite the anger emanating from his every pore.

"May I eat as I feed him?" I ask, not wanting to find out the hard way.

A few seconds pass before the male Director responds with a lazy no.

Jokur's eyes darken with rage. I silently beg him to remain calm, offering him a second bite after he swallows. When he has trouble accepting it, I stun myself by releasing a delicate rumble.

Never in all my life have I purred. My father wouldn't allow it, and after we escaped his clutches, we lived in a society dominated by betas where purring was frowned upon.

It feels good.

It feels really good.

Jokur's reaction feels even better. His lids slide halfway down his eyes and one ear drops. The tension drains from his broad shoulders and a lopsided grin pulls at his muzzle, transforming him into a devilish rake.

He eats as though in a trance, his glazed eyes never leaving mine.

After the entire meal bar disappears, I step back and ease my purr to a halt.

"You may eat, Subject 733," the male Director says.

Jokur's pupils snap to pinpoints, his fury rising so fast my heart rate skyrockets. I shove the meal bar in my mouth and take a massive bite.

His anger morphs to interest as he watches my jaw work over the food. I eat as fast as I can, wanting to be done with the situation as quickly as possible despite the throbbing low in my abdomen.

The moment I swallow the last bite, the male Director gives me new instructions.

"Subject 733, place your hands behind your head and stand with your feet shoulder width apart."

I comply, close my eyes to gather my mental shield, then meet bottomless brown orbs. The fluorescent lights highlight the yellow and green specks hiding within, stunning me with the otherworldly quality.

He jerks when the door opens and narrows his gaze over my shoulder while beginning an ominous growl.

"Look at me, Subject 918," I say, my lips numb as adrenaline courses through my veins.

His eyes snap back to mine. I hold his stare, leaning into the yearning of my soul and hoping he understands. The first person to enter my line of sight is an Enforcer. I instinctually tense before I take a deep breath and focus on Jokur.