f i f t e e n

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

"betrayed"

EGYPT WAS THEIR LAST stop

EGYPT WAS THEIR LAST stop. Makkari had been located there, along with the Domo. Both of the missing pieces of the puzzle conveniently together. Hera was grateful; as much as she loved being around her family again, she was being reminded of how annoying some of them could be. Just like true siblings.

Ikaris kept his distance, but Hera still caught him looking at her occasionally. As soon as she would lock eyes with him, his gaze would shift away. Perhaps she had been to harsh– or maybe not harsh enough.

When they landed in Egypt, they wasted no time with sightseeing. Kingo procured them two jeeps, fit to drive through the sand and wind. They were dinged up and cramped, but they were better than nothing. The Eternals piled in; Hera careful to get in the vehicle without Ikaris. She climbed into the car; the leather seats were worn and cracked with age and exposure. Druig slid in next to her, his shoulder completely pressed to her's as Thena settled in beside him.

The ride to the dig sight was quiet; no one was eager to strike conversation. They were nearing the Emergence at an alarming rate, and too many problems were still unsolved. Phastos was muttering to himself in the front seat of the car, hands twisting and turning as he used his abilities to come up with concepts of machines to help Druig with their upcoming battle.

When they reached the dig site, Druig's eyes flashed golden as he slid from the vehicle. The workers nearby instantly stood straight up before turning and walking away. Hera watched them go for a moment before she was being pulled along by Druig, who was following Phastos to the submerged Domo.

Phastos used his abilities to unearth the ship, sand falling off of the large vessel as it rose into the air. Hera grinned, eager to get aboard, as well as to see Makkari. The group entered the Domo without hesitation; Kingo led the pack with Karun walking ahead of him, shuffling backwards as to film the group.

"This," Kingo's voice echoed throughout the empty, dark hall of the ship. "is the Domo. We came to Earth in this very ship 7,000 years ago. Now, it's home to Makkari, our resident thief."

Kingo continued on his monologue, the others rolling their eyes or chuckling at things he said. Suddenly, a loud pop echoed through the hall. Phastos screamed, cutting off Kingo's sentence and causing the camera to be shoved towards him.

"Oh my god, Thena! Thena, stay calm– oh god–" Phastos rambled anxiously, a hand over his heart as he panicked. Kingo bent down, picking up the culprit of the noise. Phastos had stepped on a chip bag, causing it to pop.

"As you can see, being an Eternal does not shield you from human emotions, such as cowardice." Kingo said to the camera. Hera snorted, quickly throwing a hand over her mouth to hide her laughter. Phastos muttered grumpily, his hands shaking slightly from adrenaline.