Sold

I parked my motorbike and looked at my watch.

It was half past nine.

The dealers should have arrived by now.

I sighed and sat down on a bench in the alley. I still couldn't believe how I had gotten into that situation.

——Three days earlier———————————————————————

—We'll call you in shortly.

I nodded slowly, watching the doctor awkwardly disappear into a horde of family members and patients crowding into the waiting room or in the corridors. The hospital was the largest in my city: numerous huge floors rose above my head and long white corridors opened up around me. I had been there many times, but this was my first time there to receive skills.

I was nervous, of course, but not exactly worried. What was occupying my mind most at the moment was what I was going to do after that.

Actually, I had already started planning things out, but I couldn't know what I was going to run into when I was implanted with the abilities. Because of that, I hadn't closed any deals yet, but I had contacted several dealers of weapons and tools that might come in handy when the moment of truth came.

Suddenly, a doctor approached me, told me to follow him and guided me to a room.

Upon entering, the first thing I found was a sturdy chair, with straps around the wrists and ankles, and on top of it a metal arm with wires that ended in a helmet, located above where the head should be.

—Is that really necessary?

—The transmitters cause some patients to have large shocks, which are not lethal but can make you jump out of your chair. It's purely for protection —the doctor assured me, smiling.

I sat down. As they tied the straps and put on my helmet, I noticed a table to my left, next to the white wall. Neat stacks of papers took up most of its surface, but I could also see some small containers of a strange blue liquid. I arched an eyebrow.

—It's a prototype of a skill transplant through DNA —the doctor caught me staring at the liquid—. It's not yet approved for public use, but it's only a few days away and we've already started importing them.

Without giving me time to say anything, the man activated a couple of switches on the metal arm and walked over to a computer. After typing for a few seconds, the helmet began to make an annoying and inconsistent sound. It was a sort of buzzing sound. A couple of lights came on in the concave part of the helmet.

Without warning, I felt an electric shock, followed by a severe headache. My vision blurred and I began to lose my sense of touch and hearing. The headache intensified. It felt as if a microscopic torrent of water under extreme pressure was trying to enter my head.

Just as it began, it ended. My senses came back and the headache faded away. I breathed heavily.

—That's it, it was just that.

Just that?!

—Believe me, I've seen worse —the doctor smiled—. Rest for a few hours and you'll be as good as new.

I sighed.

—As you say, doctor...

——Back to the beginning————————————————————

It was already too much.

It wasn't normal for criminals to show up more than twenty minutes late.

I got up, ready to leave, when a white van pulled into the alley, as if in a hurry, without a care in the world, and stopped in front of me.

From the front two masked men got out.

—Do you have the money? —One of them asked me while the other went to the back in a rush.

—I want to see the stuff first.

The other man brought two bags and opened them in front of me:

—A rifle, two silenced pistols, C4 explosives, a handful of ECM devices, a PEM device, a box of... bodybags —I swallowed my saliva, distressed, slyly—. It's all there.

I bent down to pick up the bag I had left on the floor.

As I started to open it, the radio of one of the two men blared.

—Guys! You've got a problem —he sounded like the boss of the two guys—. Mark sold you out. He called the cops and ran away. Make the deal and get out of there!

The three of us looked at each other. Suddenly, two police cars appeared out of nowhere and positioned themselves at either end of the alley. The flashing lights blinded me for a few moments. It was too dark. The sound of helicopter blades caught my attention.

—Drop your weapons and put your hands in the air! Then no one will get hurt —the sound of a loudspeaker thundered across the black skies.

—Shit, fuck —one of the masked men jumped into the van and pulled out two light machine guns. He handed one to his partner and instructed him to go cover the other side—. Boy, you better find a way to get us out of here or we're all three dead!

Within seconds, I saw myself in the middle of numerous and repeated gunshots. I started thinking.

What could I do in a situation like that?

Easy enough.

I pounced on one of the bags the vendors were carrying and grabbed a couple of C4 explosives. I placed them on a wall, away from the van. As soon as I got far enough away, I started looking for the detonator among all the tools in the bag. Suddenly, one of the men fell motionless next to me. He had been shot in the head.

—Hurry the fuck up! —shouted the last one at me.

I managed to find the detonator and took cover behind the van. Just before I hit the button, I saw the other man fall.

From then on, I was alone. I pressed the button.

The force of the explosion moved the van, but it didn't touch me. Through all the smoke, I managed to locate my motorcycle, grab the three bags and get the hell out of there.

There was no chase, as the police hardly noticed that I had escaped.

——One day later —————————————————————————

—So this is the apartment...

I looked around.

One hundred and ten square meters, not bad. For what I was going to use it for, I had plenty of room. Although the seller didn't know that, of course.

After completing all the necessary legal operations and paying the full price in cash (which the ex-owner didn't want to question), I sat down on the only place I could sit: the floor. It would take some time to redecorate the apartment to my liking. And for that I needed money. That was the main reason I had bought it.

Now that I had a safe house...

It was time to start with the heists.