Redemption

Mary Magdalene POV

Lilith stood on top of the building, her messy, black ponytail blowing in the wind, whipping against her back. She swallowed hard.
This was it. She would finally be free. She stepped up close to the edge and saw the city lights and traffic glow below her with a blinding, sharp effulgence.
The sound of the car engines humming and the honking of angry drivers could barely be heard under the whipping of the wind from this altitude.
The air was thin, and Lilith's lungs strained for breath. Her breaths caught in her chest, adding to her building anxiety. But at the same time, there was a numbness to fear.
She didn't know why she was just standing there observing instead of doing what she'd come to do. A restraint. Something small inside her pushed against the cage doors and whispered, Don't. You'll get better, but the darkness was louder.

The darkness laughed in a silvery, tinkling way and in seven different voices it said,
"you'll be stuck with us until the day you die either way. You can get rid of us the easy way or never at all."
"But it isn't easy..." Lilith choked back the tears.
The seven voices laughed that evil, lighthearted chuckle once more.
"Yes it is. All you have to do is take a step forward. Let your life go. Nobody loves you and no one will care, there is no obligation keeping you here, it's just your own cowardice, Lilli," The voices were hostile and they put a throb in her temples.
Lilith swallowed a lump in her throat and she felt tears stinging the corners of her eyes. She remembered everything bad that had happened to her. Her life was in ruins and this was her only escape. She remembered that Roman...all the people who had hurt her... causing unsteadiness. She swayed and almost fell forward, but stopped herself. She could forget it all if she just did it.
"Ah, we remember him. He'll haunt you forever unless you jump."
She closed her eyes. She didn't want to be here anymore. She wanted it to be over. She wanted the sweet release of death to take her away.
She took a few steps backwards to gain momentum ...

And she leapt.

She expected the wind to cut painfully against her face at the speed of her descent, but it didn't. She felt a strangling feeling catching at her throat. Someone had grabbed her from on top of the roof and dragged her back before she could jump far enough.
They both fell backwards and came crashing on top of the cement roof. Lilith was sobbing now, the tears burning from the impact of the wind beating on her cold face. She screamed at the sky.
"WHY WON'T YOU JUST LET ME DIE?" She curled into a shaking ball lying on top of the roof... and then He spoke.

"Mary Magdalene..."