Spring

Birds chirped in the trees as Dazai made his way down rows and rows of bloomed cherry trees. The pale pink petals fell down like snow with the blowing wind and coasted the path in a pink blanket of flowers. He stopped in front of one of many trees in the park.

Dazai brushed his hand against a faded carving in the bark. In teasing Chuuya about his height during their childhood, he had carved in "petite mafia" into the tree, high enough Chuuya couldn't reach to cross it out.

The memory brought a tired smile to his face. Chuuya hadn't thought to use his ability to float himself up to the carving. Instead, he had been too preoccupied with arguing with Dazai saying he would eventually grow taller than him. Dazai fondly traced over the characters with his finger. Chuuya never did end up taller than him and really did become a petite mafia. Dazai wondered if he remembered the carving when he mentioned the cherry blossom park the day they watched the sunset together.

The brunet stretched out his legs as they had gone numb from crouching so long. He pulled out a small photo framed with a simple border from inside his coat pocket and gingerly set it against the base of the tree trunk. Dazai got up and gave the photo a sad smile.

"Happy birthday Chuuya."

He stood in front of the tree for a while before giving the photo one last glance and turned his eyes towards the cherry blossoms. The spring breeze tousled his hair, and Dazai rubbed his eyes before proceeding back towards the city.

Sleep didn't come as easily as it used to.

By :- likeshining on A03