IX

December 20th | Eleven Days until NYE

The Christmas markets on the Northern Beaches were scattered over a series of places, but the one that I was in with Leah and Benji, was at the famous Palm Beach. The rest of the world knew it as Summer Bay, but Home And Away was just another show here, and while we'd occasionally spot the actor's trailers parked on the road beside the beach, our focus was on the market stalls.

Benji was looking at a selection of tote bags, and Leah's dark eyes were fixated on rows of glimmering silver skull rings, but I walked behind them. The downside of having a trio of you was that someone always had to walk behind, especially on the paths, and almost certainly in crowds.

The Christmas markets were busy, and it being only five days until the Christmas itself, they were more packed than normal. We brushed shoulders with locals, I could smell the remnants of cigarette smoke on their breath, or the sharp sea salt on their skin as some browsed the wares after swimming in the cool water.

It was overcast, and I was glad for the shade. The stifling heat combined with crowds? It was a recipe for cranky customers and impatience all round – and I felt somber walking through the markets today.

I was looking at each stall, each item lying on the velvet, and I couldn't help thinking about Henry.

His dark eyes were fluttering in my mind as I looked at potential Christmas gifts, knowing that he wouldn't be able to dine with his family, to have the traditional barbeque in the afternoon with all his friends and the huge party to follow. He wouldn't have the blistering sun on his face as he dived into the cold meats, the normal salads and prawns we'd have. He wouldn't hear Michael Bublé singing on the radio.

The only thing that he'd be able to do with the rest of the country was swim. Most swam in their own pools, but he would be quietly swimming in the ocean, with nothing but the tide for company.

The others would be the same, but it still hurt that they'd be alone. As I looked at the next stall, seeing the handmade bracelets adorned with small beads in a scattering of colours, an idea came to mind. I could surely see them before Christmas? Or maybe after, but I could get them something.

"Hello," I greeted the stall owner, who nodded with the tip of their broad hat. "Are these bracelets okay to swim in?"

"Sure," they waved to the bracelets on the table cloth. "Five for $7.50, mate."

"Can you do seven for $10?"

"Yeah, no worries," they said. A hand reached out for the $10 note I'd retrieved from my wallet, and as they put it into their small tin for change, I chose seven bracelets from the table. I picked out ones to complement their beautiful coloured tails they had, and I tied a purple beaded one to my wrist as well.

There was nothing wrong with buying yourself a present.

Placing the six bracelets for the mermaids in my bag, I turned to catch up with Leah and Benji. The two of them were a few stalls ahead, examining quarts necklaces handing off the roof of the stall.

"What'd ya find?" I said when I arrived.

Benji was holding a stunning amethyst baroque necklace. He held it against my shoulder to judge where the stone would fall. "I'm thinking this for Gran; what'd you think?"

"She'd love it."

"Great, I'll buy it!" He turned and handed it to the stall owner, who grinned and took it away to wrap in tissue paper. "The only people I have to buy for now are you two."

"I want a Lamborghini." Leah said immediately.

"I want a yacht." I said too, and we both grinned at Benji's deadpan expression.

"Y'all are hilarious."

Leah held up a necklace with fiery gemstone hanging off a thin cord. "We know – how about this one for me?"

"Ooh I love that, it's very you." Benji said, holding the quartz. "What stone is it?"

"Agate," Leah handed the necklace to the owner, "and that's me all done."

"You have everything for your family?"

"Yup," Leah shrugged. "I bought everyone's gifts ages ago."

"Do you give your presents on the 25th, or do you wait until the 7th?" I asked as I admired a dainty rose quartz necklace on a narrow silver chain. I picked it up, mentally ticking my mother off the present list. She loved necklaces, and rose quartz was her birthstone. Double whammy.

"We do both; the full dinner on the 25th, but we have another dinner on the 7th with our presents then." Leah said as the teller handed both her purchase and Benji's back to them. Leah's family was Orthodox on her mother's side, but because her dad wasn't, they were relaxed around tradition. In her case, it meant she had two Christmases, one with her dad's side, and another in January with her mother's.

Benji put his present in his pockets. "So only presents on one day? You could have double the amount of presents."

Leah laughed. "I'm missing out! I'll pitch it to my mum and see what she says."

"Just saying, double the presents double the joy!"

I shook my head at Benji's antics and we carried on towards the next stalls. I found a new wallet for my dad engraved with a symbol of a hammer, and I bought two headbands with ice creams on for the twins, and was looking for something else to get them when I spotted someone else shopping at the corner of the market.

Her hair was the first thing people noticed. It was a bright strawberry-blonde that naturally fell in gentle waves to frame her face, and the ends formed soft ringlets at the curve of her back when it wasn't tied up. When she looked around the markets, the clouds parted with the sun kissing the brilliant highlights in her hair, and the soft pink blush of her cheeks.

When her turquoise eyes locked onto mine, I lost my breath at the weight of her gaze, my chest growing heavy with guilt.

Her name was Carrie – and she was the reason I fled my eighteenth birthday.

"We need to go," I grabbed Benji's arm. My voice was hoarse as I saw Carrie's eyes widen in recognition, her body turn towards me. "Please."

"Leah!" Benji called, as she immediately came over. "Code: Rubber Duck!"

Leah blinked. "Is that the one that's 'get the fuck out' or 'beat up the fuck'?"

I backed up, still with Benji clutched in my grasp, as Carrie took a step towards us. She was on the other side of the market, too far away to hear, but I saw her mouth my name.

"Please let's go, I'll explain, but I, I can't, please." I pulled away towards the market exit and Leah and Benji immediately came with me, not questioning anything as we fled the crowds before Carrie parted them to talk to me.

I hadn't seen her in six months and for a reason; it was thanks to her and Max that I fled my birthday. When that box of secrets had dented, bent, and been crushed. I couldn't face her then, I couldn't face Max, and I wouldn't face her now if I could help it.

Seeing her startling eyes, that mass of thick hair, and the shock on her face at seeing me – all I could remember was when she looked at me like that, six months ago, but it was when her greatest secret was revealed.

And it had been my fault. 

~

A shorter chapter today, but a little more insight on Sylvia's inner turmoil and her motives. I know it's not my typical '7 days between uploads' but quite honestly, I couldn't be bothered to wait a week before uploading the chapter haha, I just wanted to put it up for you all. 

Let me know what you think, as always! 

Libby x