Don't You Remember?

Asher walked slowly into the school as more people entered. He caught sight of Coach walking towards the field, and flinched away. Anything to do with last night was embarrassing to Asher. He was different somehow, his thoughts having deeply changed him, and he just wanted to be left alone.

That predisposition for being alone was quickly squashed by a smiling Simon who caught sight of him in the hallway. Asher still liked Simon, perhaps he always would, but it was killing him to be allowed to see him and touch him everyday, but not be able to actually be with him. Asher had realized he could not just be friends with Simon, it was too emotionally strenuous, and it would be better for the both of them if he just left Simon alone.

"Hi Asher." Simon had a large smile on his face as he greeted his friend by the school door.

"Hey."

"Are you feeling alright? You look flush." Simon gestured to Asher's reddened cheeks, and his saddened expression.

"I'm fine." Asher toddled his bag to his other shoulder uncomfortably. "I've got to go. I'm supposed to go and meet up with Garrett." Asher lied. He didn't have actual plans to meet up with Garrett, though he did intend to look for the other boy.

"Oh alright. I'll see you tomorrow." Simon walked off without another word leaving Asher staring after him.

"Tomorrow...?" Asher's brow furrowed in confusion. "Wait no I'm not..." Asher began, but Simon was already gone, still he figured if he didn't show up at the mission, that Simon would get the message.

....

Garrett was running laps in the gym before school started when the coach came in with an angry expression. Garrett went straight into the locker room, hoping to avoid the coach's wrath at any or all costs. Garrett had just begun to change when the coach burst into the locker room.

"You, boy, what time did you get in this morning?"

"Like 7:15, why?" Garrett asked in confusion.

"Did you go to the football field, first?" The coach asked sternly.

"No I didn't I came straight here." Garrett didn't know what had happened, but he knew someone was about to get in trouble, and he had a horrible feeling it was going to be him. "Why?"

"Because someone broke onto the football field this morning, and shattered the lock on the fence with a wrench. Does this look familiar?" The coach held up a metal wrench with a scratch down the center of it. "Cause of I find out that you lied to me I'll have to suspend you." The coach then left the room without another word. Garrett had not been on the football field earlier, nor would he have broken the lock on the fence if he couldn't get in. He wasn't sure who he knew that was capable of something like that, but he knew he most certainly wasn't.

Garrett walked slowly out into the hallway. He didn't want to be suspended from the football team, not for something he didn't do, and especially not while he was captain. If the coach thought this was him, Garrett my never earn back his trust. Garrett wasn't sure how much the drama had spread throughout the team, but he was hoping he could get some answers off the other members if he were to go looking, so when he saw Davey, and raced over to fill him in on what the coach had found.

"What's up man?" Davey smiled in greeting.

"Someone broke onto the field." Garrett began. "Smashed the lock on the fence with a wrench."

"Woah."

"I know. I was here earlier, so Coach thinks it was me, and now I might get suspended."

....

"Smashed the lock on the fence with a wrench.... now I might get suspended..." Asher hadn't meant to be listening in on the conversation, in truth he had been going to talk to Garrett before he noticed Davey there, and decided to get away from that whole situation. That is until he heard Garrett talking about the field. Asher didn't remember how he'd gotten there the night before, but he had been there, and if someone broke in, that meant that it was obviously him. Asher didn't think he was capable of damaging property of the school, but confronted with the possibility he was unsure. Lashing out and breaking things was not something Asher was a stranger to, his broken phone stood as a reminder of that.

Asher turned from the group, unable to face Garrett, especially if he got Garrett into trouble. He didn't know what to do. Either Asher confessed and was off the team for good, or Garrett got suspended for a few weeks, and then came back, only slightly disgraced. It was a tough decision, and part of Asher knew it would be one of his last chances to make the right choice before he too far gone. Truly Asher was slipping away, and if he let Garrett take the fall for it he'd slip away entirely. Although if he told the truth he'd lose the one constant in his life, football. Either way, Asher was on the verge of a choice.

....

From his time dealing with Liam's mood swings, Simon was well aware of when someone was trying to signal that they needed space, and Asher was clearly signalling that he needed space. Simon was deathly afraid of smothering people, so he tried to leave them alone even when it hurt. Over the last few weeks Simon had become incredibly attached to Asher, closer than he'd ever been to another, well another besides Shea. Simon liked life to be buttoned neatly, but Shea was unruly, and he made Simon anxious. In a way, he knew what Asher was capable of, however terrible, but he had no idea what Shea was. Shea had proven himself kind, and loving, then vengeful, and nasty. He was a wildcard to Simon's consistency, but somehow that made Simon miss him. Simon was never one to lose friends over anything, and he hated the idea of having someone be estranged from him, and yet he still wasn't ready to forgive Shea. Despite Asher's tantrums, Shea had still been the one to say the most horrid things to him. Asher would snap at him, and often, but Shea dug deep when he struck, even if he struck less often.

Liam was picking Simon up from school that day, and he was looking forward to that. Simon supposed that Liam was perhaps his favorite person in the world, and he always seemed to miss him. On the outside their relationship was chaotic and convoluted, but internally they had a kind of order set about, a set of rules that only they were bound to. Liam's old car was in the lot by the time Simon reached it, and Simon was glad he wouldn't have to wait.

"Hey." Simon smiled as he got into the car.

"Hey." Liam repeated. "How was school?"

"It was... strange." Simon shrugged with a thin smile. Liam frowned, but didn't press further. Liam was in gym shorts and a shirt, and his hair was slick back with water, the sun glistening on his skin. "You look sweaty, did you just come from practice?"

"Mhm." Liam hummed in agreement careful not to actually answer. Lying to Simon was taking a toll on him, and he was beginning to yearn to tell him. But Liam was close to enough money for the next year's tuition for private school, and he figured he'd wrap it up with a bow, and give it like a present to Simon as a surprise.

"Did I interrupt you? I'll be able to drive myself a little bit later into next year."

"Nah. I like driving you." Liam answered with a half smile. Simon liked it too. Liam was relaxed when he drove, almost like he knew he was in control of everything, and Simon felt incredibly safe.

"I like it too."