2008 Storage Unit Lost

Storage Unit

In 2008 after living my whole life at Broken Lane, my entire childhood, we were evicted from the tenant so he could renovate it and rent it out to college students. A family of 4, one with cancer, and one being an infant had to leave so that a man could make money from those that were better off.

The days before we were evicted my mother not knowing what to do and my father not being functional thought the only option was to move all out items to a storage unit because we didn't have a home to move into. Everything from my childhood went into this storage unit that would of course go unpaid by my parents so we would lose a lifetime of memories, but what could she have done in these circumstances? I'm not sure how but my mother did find a home last minute right down the road from my high school. I was fortunate that my friend Carleton spent all day with me moving stuff from Broken Lane to Durham on the weekend before eviction. We spent hours and hours but there was just too much stuff so what we didn't lose in the storage unit we lost moving from Broken Lane to Camelot. We desperately needed help, but my parents, my mother primarily was too stubborn to ask and so we all suffered.

We eventually got evicted from Durham and because my father went to high school with a woman that had a house for rent we were able to move to move into that. This would be the last home I would live in with my family. I believe my mom took her entire paycheck to give $40 each to a group of guys to help move our stuff from Durham to Northwest. When we did this my mom and sister rented a U-Haul. I think it had to be in my sister's name because my mother couldn't get approved. So we spent a weekend loading our remaining belongs and transferring them to Northwest. It was shortly after, maybe a month that I spent living with them until I couldn't handle it anymore and asked my friend Carleton if I could stay with his mom and him in their spare bedroom, they were well of financially, and so I did. I mention the U-Haul because after my family was evicted from Northwest they loaded up a U-Haul but didn't have anywhere to unload the stuff, we were homeless. I believe after a few days had passed since the required return of the U-Haul and since my sister had nowhere to put our belongings the police showed up at our home and she went to jail for theft or grand theft auto. I feel pain now for my choices then, because I didn't help them move the fourth time and I had no idea how they did it.

I abandoned them when they needed all the help they could get. All the while my mother's physical condition was declining and my father had limited mental capacity. It hurts so fucking much thinking about how money could have made a difference and instead of working I only focused on myself and school and getting into college. My mother at Northwest told me, "I'm not going to be around forever, and you don't care." At this point I didn't know she had a diagnosis of only having 6 months left to live. She never told me that her condition was terminal and I never ever anticipated her dying from it at 53.

Even taking into account the abuse, no-one dying of cancer should have to work 3 jobs to provide for her family including her infant grandchild. Canton grew up to be mentally disabled and I wasn't there for him in his youth. All I cared about was myself, and I can't take back the years and the pain and the suffering. I'm sorry guys, I truly am.