~4

*Time skip 3 years*

Marie had just become 9 years old. Levi had taught her a lot of things she needed to learn to survive in the underground. He passed all of his knowledge that he got from Kenny, down to Marie.

"What's the deal old man? Got a problem?" Isabel started.

"I've come for a job request." That was all the old man said.

"Aren't you at the wrong house? This is not a handyman shop." Furlan said.

"I'll promise a reward."

"Go home." Levi quickly said and he walked towards the house as the others followed.

"I already paid the deposit though."

With that, they stopped in their tracks and looked at the man.

"You're kidding, right? This is the first time we've seen you." Furlan said.

"That's true but you should already know... About him." The man looked at a limp person who was getting in a carriage. Furlan looked shocked and Marie could feel that Levi's energy changed into a more shocked one, even though it wasn't visible on his face. Marie and Isabel didn't know what was going on.

"Jan!" Furlan shouted.

"His leg is already at its limit. He needs to get treatment in a hospital on the surface... Isn't that right.. Levi-Kun?"

"What's the meaning of this?" Furlan asked. Marie could feel he was growing impatient.

"I told you didn't I? It's a deposit for the job.. You'll listen to the details now, right?"

"Fine.. go on then.." Levi said.

.........

Marie and the others were following the old man up the stairs to the bright surface where a carriage was standing.

"Are these the one?" a voice from the carriage said.

"Yes. I've heard they're excellent. Even the younger one has future potential."

Levi stared at the man in the carriage.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked.

"It's understandable that you're wary of me." The man started. "But you'll learn that it's okay to trust me."

"Hah. How could we?" Furlan said

"The fact that I'm here says everything... I'm at great risk for just being here... Have you received the deposit already?"

"I don't know how things work on top, but in our world, it's called taking a hostage," Levi said to the man.

"I have no idea what he needs or what he wants... But I don't trust him at all" Marie thought

"That's just a contingency plan we laid in place. When you have completed the job, you won't only be getting a huge sum of money... But also citizenship on the surface.

This had them all shocked.

........

They went back to the underground again only Furlan, Isabel, and Levi to put their ODM gear on and leave again while Marie strolled behind them.

"We've got confirmation on Jan. He's in a first-rate hospital." Furlan said. "The Identity of the man is also confirmed. This job is a real thing! Are we gonna do it? Levi?"

"Bro?" Isabel said.

"Carry on as normal. But if they appear like he said they would... We'll start the job."