10. Truths and Lies

Nishikata's POV

He got a rose from his back and offered it to Takagi and said, "Takagi, I like you... Will you be my girlfriend?"...

I was bewildered. What I was going to do has now been done by someone else. If that was not enough, Takagi replied, which made my world go upside down.

Takagi replied..."Yes, I would love to..." Thats it. I ran as fast as I could. I lost again, but this time, it was hurting a lot.

Takagi's POV

I always wonder how Nishikata manages to lose to me all the time. At the recess, I was talking about Nishikata with Sumire. She was always kind to me and helped me whenever I needed it.

Suddenly, a boy came to me. He had brown hair and black eyes and school uniform. He was well built and taller than me. I think he was senior than both me and Nishikata.

He said, "Ugh...you are Takagi...Right?"

"Yes" I replied.

"I was wondering if you could come to the roof now. I had something important to tell you."

"Well...sure. I will be there within 10 minutes."

"I will be waiting." He said and left joyfully.

I turned to Sumire and said, "What does this guy want now?"

"Oh, so you do not know that guy. Why are you always busy with Nishikata? Turn to some other boys. Now to think of it, Nishikata is such a dope head because you always pay attention to her. Make him jealous sometimes."

"Just say about that boy, Sumire. Do not lecture me about Nishikata." I said as I blushed slightly and pouted.

"Ok ok fine. That guy's name is Yamaoka Mitsuo. He is a basketball player and a year senior than us. Although not in a major position, he has such well built body. He is really calm and gentle and does not hold grudges against anyone. Many girls have proposed him, he refuses them all. He says that someday, he will find the perfect partner for himself."

"Jeez Sumire. How do you know so much"?

"Because, I also proposed him once, and he rejected, as expected. But what will you do? I mean, he is surely calling you to propose."

"You know what I will do right?"

"Of course, after all I am your best friend. Now go to the roof. Someone is waiting."

I climbed the stairs of the roof and found that the door was open. I entered, closing the door behind me, keeping it unlocked though. Mitsuo was leaning against the guardwall and staring at the sky. I went near to him and said, "Hello Mitsuo."

He turned to me and said, "Hello... you look nice today."

"Thanks. By the way, what were you going to tell me?"

He gave me a warm smile and turned towards the sky. He blushed a little. He said, "Firstly, how do you know my name?"

"Sumire told me."

"Oh, I guess she is still not forgetting me... so, Takagi, I had been wondering this for some time. Whenever I see you I think that you are my only destiny. Whenever I hear you, I think it is the sweetest music of the millennia. You make me want to be a better person. I love everything about you. Your smile brightens my day. I love the way your eyes smile. I can win everything with one hand provided you're holding my other hand." This last sentence made me blush. Seriously, I like to tease, but I am being proposed for the first time with such poetic language. Even an army girl will blush at such comments. But then he did even more. He got a rose out of his back pocket and said, "Takagi, I like you... Will you be my girlfriend?"...

I smiled inside myself. I knew who I liked, and it was definitely not this guy. There is only one person in this world that I like, and that person is a dope head. But, breaking his heart by rejecting at his mouth seemed rude. After all, he had prepared such poetic quotes only to propose me. So, I said, "Yes I would love to." I was not able to finish as I heard a noise of closing of a door hard. Suddenly, fear started to engulf me. Somehow, it seemed to be Nishikata. Wait, did he hear me say yes to this guy and left feeling rejected? No no no no no no. I was about to run downstairs when a hand griped my hand. Mitsuo said, "Lets finish what we had started."

"Uh Mitsuo, I was going to say that I would love to be your girlfriend, but I already have someone in my heart. And by luck, that person might have just heard me say yes to you. I need to run after him or else, I may lose him forever"

Mitsuo's face dropped. He was sad and annoyed. After rejecting so many girls, he felt the pangs of rejection. He loosened his grip and I ran away from him. Before I left, he said, "Takagi, thanks for telling me the truth. Go get the person of your heart. And... If you need any help, I will always be there for you."

I ran downstairs, but Nishikata was nowhere to be seen. I searched everywhere, only to find Sumire. When she saw me, she asked, "So, how did it go?"

"Not so good... I rejected him. But, I think Nishikata saw me with him and now thinks that I have accepted Mitsuo."

"Oh crap. I should not have told him."

"WHAT DID YOU TELL HIM?"

"Chill, he came to me running and asked where you were. I just told him you may be at the roof and he rushed there. He was running like crazy...as if he just had enlightment."

"That means he really heard it...and now, I have to find him and tell him the truth."

I searched the whole school, but never found him. I was tearing up now. I went back to the class. I opened the door tofind that Nishikata was not there as well. I sat down and kept staring at his seat, wondering, only to make Mitsuo feel better, I made Nishikata sad. What an awful person I am.

Soon, the teacher entered and started teaching. I was not in the mood to study. I put my head in my hands and silently cried.

After the class, I asked Tanabe-Sensei about Nishikata. He said That Nishikata was not feeling well and he was sent home just after the recess.

After school, I was walking alone on the streets gloomily. Suddenly I heard a boy's voice from behind. I turned to find Kimura running towards me. When he arrived, he breathes heavily and said, "Did he manage to propose you?"

"P-Propose?" I stammered and blushed lightly "W-What do you mean by that?"

"That idiot. I thought he was going to do it today."

"Wait, what?"

"Ugh, as I have told you this much, I have to tell you the whole story. The thing is, Nakai said that if he didn't make progress with you, he may lose you. At this, something sparked inside him and he ran to find you. But it seems like he did not manage to pull it off."

I was starting to tear up again and said, "T-Thanks Kimura. I shall leave now." I rushed home and cried in my bed alone. At evening, I tried to text Nishikata. He was reading my messages but not replying. After several not replied messages, I tried to call. He just did not receive first few calls and then, switched his phone off. But I found that he had written something before going offline. Reading it made me tear up again. His last message said, "Leave me alone..."

Till then

Stories_with_arka