Ch. 14 - Holding On [e]

A/N: I wanna thank everyone for congratulating me on my first 1K reads! But actually it is me who has to thank you for reading my story and sticking with it. I can't thank all of you enough!

Chapter 14 - Holding On
Within the next days, the surrounding villages and towns got attacked by freed demons and their leaders, just like expected. So far, they haven't gotten close to the capital but it is only a matter of time. Meanwhile, our situation hasn't changed at all. Meliodas is still unconscious and King and Diane are still in the forest of the fairies. But even though we're clearly outnumbered, we spend every spare minute to protect the kingdom.

Another day begins and I walk down the stairs to see no one but Merlin in the tavern. "Good morning, Yami. You look tired" she greets me.

"Lovely. Great start in the day" I answer sarcastically but Merlin is right. I'm exhausted from all the fighting and all the worries. "I'm just glad that everyone is back safe." Because every day Meliodas' friends come back safe is a good day.

"About that..." she begins but I already know what she wants to tell me, so I nod to cut her off.

"Yes, I know. I'll tell them today."

Now Merlin nods. "And about the princess..."

"I know that too, Merlin. I'm gonna take care of everything today, okay?" I say a little too fretful. "I'm sorry. I'll take care of it" I sigh.

"Do you need any help?" she asks and I can sense a hint of worry in her voice.

I pour myself a glass of beer and sit down at one of the tables. "I'll be fine."

"It's early morning and you 're already drinking" says Merlin and raises an eyebrow at me. I just shrug.
Her doubts are justified. Today isn't an easy day for me. Everyone is overtired from the lack of sleep because there are coming more demons every day. And even we keep them in bay, they are still coming closer to the kingdom. In other words, even though we are already outnumbered, it is time to split up to have a better possibility to contain the danger.
But there is more. I had promised Meliodas that I would look after Elizabeth and since he is still unconscious, there are only two options for me. Either I stay at the Boar Hat with them and stay out of the fights or I hide them both and am finally able to help protecting thr kingdom. But to be honest, staying out of a fight is no option for me anymore. And as long as Meliodas is unconscious, his comrades need someone to take care of that fights with them. Someone who knows about the demons and the danger that comes with them and that understands what happened in the Holy War 3.000 years ago. Merlin would be an option for that but she's more of a right hand and fullfills this task very well.

I knock on the door of Meliodas bedroom, where the princess is watching over him. She hasn't left his side for days, waiting for him to finally wake up. I have to admit, it's not just Elizabeth that is  more worried than before. I am, too. Meliodas has still two hearts left and it shouldn't take him that long to rest. He should've woken up days ago and it's scaring me that he hasn't. But I can't show his friends how worried I actually am because they need someone to be strong for them.
Together with Hawk, who always seems to be at mine or Elizabeths side, I enter the room, shortly after I have announced the news about our split up to everyone.

"Lady Yami..." Elizabeth greets me with a broken voice, filled with worry. "You're here to see Meliodas, right?"

"Kind of" I say and walk over to his bed and look at my friend with a smile. I move my hand through his blond hair and then stroke his face. I would do everything to hear his enthusiastic voice again and whenever I see him like that, I miss talking to him even more. But then, I look up at Elizabeth. "I wanted to talk to you before leaving" I say.