Part sixty

(Sam's POV)

"Sorry." Chloe's voice came through before the link shut off.

I ran my hands over my head in exasperation, fear, and anger.

I started to run towards the building, but as I took my first step, something—probably the bomb—exploded, sending people, shockwaves, and shrapnel everywhere. Me included.

I sat up to see the building on fire.

Nat's gonna kill me.

                       ———————

(Bucky's POV)

I don't know why I'm doing this. Maybe a part of me wants to. But I don't know.

I run down the streets, in the direction of the smoke and fire.

By the time I get there the place is on fire. Smoke streaming into the night sky.

There are already a few fire trucks outside the museum, but mainly bystanders.

She said something about a diamond. So if she didn't get out that's where she would be.

I climbed through the rubble of the building stopping every now and then hearing rubble move.

After what seemed like an hour, I heard someone groan.

I shuffled down to the noise, moving loose bricks and stones as I moved, trying to find her.

"Kid?" I coughed, then heard someone groan nearby.

"Kid?" I asked louder then before.

"Cooper?" I turned my head hearing a voice speak faintly.

I moved a piece of wall that had fallen, and saw a black bubble. I stared at it realizing that it was starting to disintegrate.

Coughing, I quickly moved everything else that was on the bubble, away from it, before it disintegrated completely.

Slowly the form of two bodies came into view. "Kid!"

I grabbed Chloe's head trying to wake her. "C'mon Kid. Wake up."

"Hydra."

"What?" I asked confused, as I pulled her into my lap.

"Hy-hydra." She mumbled pointing to the other figure.

I looked at the woman asleep on the ground next to Chloe. I sighed shifting my hold on Chloe.

"I'll come back for her later. Let's get you out of here first. Then we can deal with her." I groaned, picking her up.

I struggled with her in my arms, inhaling the smoke from the explosion.

She was surprisingly heavy.

I climbed back through the burning building, struggling with all the smoke.

Once I reached an area outside where the air wasn't as hard to breath I set her down.

"Hi." She smiled weakly. "Twice in one day. Wasn't expecting that."

"Hi. And technically it's three times. The market. Remember?" I smiled at her. She was covered in ash and soot. I brushed as much of it off her face as I could.