Chapter 22

Third Person POV

Flashback

"W-Where am-m I?" Carlos groaned. "W- Wh-..." He looked around him. W-What...? He was sitting in a metal chair, his hands tied behind his back. He was sitting in what looked like an old run-down bar. There wasn't anyone there. Lights illuminated the space poorly. What was I doing?

"Izuku!" Carlos's eyes went wide. Where's Izu?! I-I, He tried remembering more details. A fuzzy image of him standing next to Izuku and in front of a person popped into his head. Killmonger... He growled.

"Ah, look who's awake." A man stepped out of a hallway on the left. That's not Killmonger. But isn't he the one who took me? It didn't add up.

"Who are you?" Carlos eyed the man as he walked around the couches and down the center, straight in front of him.

"My name is Shigaraki," He said. 

"What do you want?" 

Does he work with Killmonger? How come I've never heard of him? No, wait, Izu mentioned this group. What was their name? Uh, He squeezed his eyes shut and then snapped them back open. Right! The League of Villains. He's their leader, right? What does he want with me? 

Carlos was pulled out of his thoughts when Shigaraki started talking.

"Now, I can't tell you that, can I?" Carlos rolled his eyes. "We have a lot in store for you."

"Wait, we?" Carlos's eyes swept the room. There wasn't anyone else there. "Who are you talking about?"

"I think you already know." With that, he left. Killmonger...

As time passed, weirdly, the villains didn't do anything. But, that just made him even more suspicious. Even then, he didn't lose hope. However, as more and more time passed, the once bright and strong feeling of hope dwindled to a faint sliver. 

They're coming for me! 

He kept on repeating to himself, but in the end, it just sounded like he was trying to convince himself. After what felt like a year, the little sliver of hope turned to dust. 

They're not coming for me...

He would always see people walk in and out of the bar, but they never really did anything to him. That was until the villains noticed that he wasn't giving them the evil eye or demanding that they let him go or even shouting that the heroes were coming to save him. They had finally achieved their task.

The first time they took control of Carlos, he didn't know what was happening in beginning. They just came up to him with a needle filled with red liquid and tried to inject it into him. Now, obviously, he was going to put up a fight. Just because the heroes weren't coming, doesn't mean he was going to let himself get turned into a weird lab experiment. Eventually, they pinned him down and injected it into his bloodstream.

"What did you do to me?!" Carlos yelled. It was the first time he'd lashed out like this in a while. 

"Answer me!" He screamed. The next five minutes consisted of him demanding to know what they did to him and the other villains ignoring him.

After the fifth minute, a numbing feeling spread over Carlos's body. 

"What's going o-..." His speech became sloppy and it got to the point where he couldn't even speak. He couldn't feel his tongue, or his mouth, or his hands. What's going on?! Thank god he still could still feel his eyes.

"Finally!" The man with purple scars groaned when Carlos stopped talking. Carlos heard the other villains call him Dabi, so he assumed that's what his name was. "He was getting on my last nerve."

The girl that always wore space buns giggled, "Dabi~, you're so funny~."

"Shut it, blood bitch!"

"Both of you, shut up!" The misty being? Person? Thing? Carlos had no idea what he was, only that he could make these purple portals. "Listen to Shigaraki." The two huffed, but shut up.

"Children..." Shigaraki muttered. 

"You don't have any ground to stand on, Handy Man!" Dabi retorted. The pale blue-haired man just grumbled something about disintegrating his entire family before trying to be the more mature one and ignore the comment. Apparently, based off the conversations and scenes Carlos had witnessed, all the villains were trying to get Shigaraki to be more mature and the adult he actually is, instead of like a child. 

He really needed it.

"Anyways, Killmonger, now." Carlos's eyes darted around, finally settling on the dark shadow leaning on left wall. Killmonger... He still had a resentment towards the man since he was the reason why Carlos was in this whole situation to begin with. Killmonger stepped forward and roughly grabbed Carlos's jaw.

"About time..." He said under his breath. If Carlos could raise his eyebrow, he would've. About time for what? Killmonger's eyes started glowing the same red that they did the night he was trying to get the codes. Seconds later, Carlos tried to look away, not getting what the point of this was, but found that he couldn't. What's happening? It was like someone was forcing his eyes to look into Killmonger's.

He felt feeling return to his arms and legs. 

Yes! 

Carlos tried to push Killmonger off him, still not able to stop staring at him. But, for some reason, he couldn't move his arms at all. What...? He tried his fingers, legs, face, he tried talking. Nothing worked. Killmonger stood up, his eyes back to normal.

"There. Now, stand up." Carlos rose. What? What am I doing? Who's doing this?

"Finally, that took way too long." Shigaraki whined a little. Okay, maybe he wasn't that far along with his being mature thing. Dabi rolled his eyes. 

"Being mature, my ass." Carlos heard Dabi grumble. 

"Okay, test one." Killmonger said to no one in particular. Test?! What's going on? "Use your telekinesis to lift this cup." He placed a regular ceramic blue mug on the ground in front of Carlos's feet. What?! No, I'm not going to-

Carlos's body moved and the cup lifted up off the ground back into Killmonger's hands. Wh-What? I-, B-But I didn't do that! 

"Test one, complete." Stop this! He tried breaking free of whatever was affecting him. He tried using his mind to block out anything that wasn't his own thoughts. He tried concentrating a lot in moving his fingers. It worked one time, but even then it was just a twitch. 

The villains always injected him with the red liquid then Killmonger did his weird eye thing every six months. It used to be every month, but that was when he actually tried to gain control.

Months passed, and Carlos eventually stopped trying to break free. He learned to accept that he wasn't in control of his own life or actions anymore. He had lost hope in everything.

Flashback Over

"But now, I have more determination. They haven't given me the injection in five months and twenty-five days. It's getting weaker and now that I'm trying to break free, it's coming through." He looked up. 

"Carlos Odom is going to be free."