Part fifty-four

Rose Hill, Tennessee.
(Chloe's POV)

Harley and I walked to his house where he lived. "Are you sure it's okay? I don't want to intrude." I told him walking inside.

"You aren't. My mom's at work and my sister is staying at a friends house for the night." He said turning on the lights.

I looked in a mirror by the front door and took off my hat.

I had snowflakes on the tips of my hair.

His hours was small. Not super small, but just enough for where it's nice and cozy.

I walked into the living room setting down my bag as I shook out the snow from my hair.

There was a old couch and chairs. There was a fireplace with a mantle. On it were pictures of Harley, his sister and mom.

The one in the middle was my favorite. Harley and his sister were sitting in front while his mom was in back. They were all pretty young.

Harley was a cute kid. Make a mental note to ask about it later.

"You want something to eat? Or drink?" Harley asked walking into the living room. I shook my head no.

"You like the picture?" He asked standing next to me.

"Yeah. Where was it taken?" I asked looking at him.

"The park. I think I was maybe eleven? Twelve? I'm not sure exactly." He explained sitting down. "So what's up with you? I heard about your accident. I meant to call but I had all this stuff an-"

"It's okay, Harley." I cut him off.

"What about the guy your were with? Is he okay?" My face fell at this question. Harley must've noticed because he quickly said, "You don't have to tell me. It's okay."

I just shook my head. "No he...he..." I stopped short and sat down on a chair.

Deep breath Chloe. Deep breath.

"No. Jamie—the guy I was with, we were on our way back to New York and we were attacked. He...he actually passed away...a few days ago." I struggled with the last part.

And right then and there I lost it.

I sobbed with my head in my hands. Harley moved in front of me and took my hands in his. "Shh. Hey it's okay. Shh. Why didn't you say anything early? Come 'er." He pulled my into his arms and I went willingly.

We sat like that for awhile while I cried my eyes out. I don't remember when I stopped. I just knows that I did eventually.

The next thing that I remembered was eating pizza with Harley sitting next to me. He was telling me about some machine that could supposedly transport medical supplies.

"The machine is only in its development and testing stage, but if it actually works, it could help millions of people. Chloe?" I looked at him with what I can only assume was a dazed expression.

"Huh? Sorry. What?" I frowned.

"No, it's my fault. I should've thought. Are you okay? You look really tired." He told me.

I knew he was trying to be nice, but with everything, it was just really hard.

"Yeah. I guess I could just use some sleep. I haven't slept well recently." I agreed.