Part forty-five

A week and a half later.
(Chloe's POV)

"Look. I know you're not happy, but this was the deal. We look for a week or so, and if nothing turns up, we go home." I said throwing some clothes into my bag.

"You said two weeks! It hasn't been two weeks yet!" Jamie yelled storming into my room.

"I don't care. My birthday is in two days, and I would like to spend it with my mom for the first time ever. So please. Can you just pack your bag so we can go?" I asked fed up with him.

I moved around Jamie and grabbed some stuff off the dresser and tossed them in my bag.

"What's wrong with you? The Chloe I knew would have done anything to protect her family. Anything to find them. You've changed." Jamie said with disappointment in his voice.

That's it.

"I have done everything for you Jamie! I've indulged you're fantasy that we would come her and find her! I've spent the past week an a half going from place to place looking for her! But she's not here! You know how I know? Because she's dead Jamie! She's dead!" I screamed at him feeling tears start to roll down my face.

"And don't you dare talk about how I've changed." I finished in a deadly tone pushing him.

Jamie slammed me into the wall. "Don't say that! She's out there and you know it!" He yelled.

I felt sorry for anyone walking past our room.

"Yes I do Jamie! I know she's dead! I know because I saw her body! I saw her! Cold and pale and dead! She's gone Jamie she's gone!" I yelled in French.

Jamie let go of me and I slid down the wall until my legs were pressed against my chest, and I could set my chin on my knees.

I cried silently as tears splashed down onto my knees that were peeking out of my ripped jeans.

"What do you mean you saw her dead?" I looked up at Jamie who was as pale as a ghost.

Or is it sheet? I always get them mixed up. I don't think it matters.

———————

Ireland. January 4th, 2012.

As we walked back to our rooms I saw someone pushing a cart with something on it.

Not something. Someone. Charlotte.

Everyone else kept walking but I stopped. I looked at the body on the cart. It was Charlottes body, but it wasn't her.

It was just what was left of her. The last physical remanent of her.

She was pale and looked strange. Like she was sleeping, but not going to wake up.

I wonder what Jamie would do right now.

I jumped feeling someone touch my arm. I turned and saw Luke.

He noticed where I was staring and smiled at me.

It wasn't a pity smile, we didn't give each other that. Not here. No. It was a sad smile. It was a knowing smile. A smile that meant more then words could say. That's how we communicated.