Part thirty-eight

(Chloe's POV)

I coughed up the smoke that I had inhaled previously.

It hurt to cough.

A lot.

My entire body hurt like nothing I've ever experienced before.

And that's including Hydra.

I rolled onto my side and let out a groan feeling the metal in my leg move.

I felt a tear slip down from my eye. I hadn't cried from the pain before now.

You know how people say that you'll feel better after crying? I guess it's kinda true.

"You okay, Chloe?" Steve asked me as I rolled back onto my back.

"Mhmm." I hummed.

"We got to get that metal out." Sam said coming over.

"If you do...that, you could kill...me." I said gritting my teeth in pain.

"Chloe, Sam's right. We can't leave it in your leg. We have to take it out." Steve said motioning to the metal.

"Fine. Just...you'll have to figure out how to stop it from bleeding." I told them.

I could feel my body becoming tense. Whether that was from just being tense, or some other reason, I wasn't sure.

Ether way, I was about to be in a whole lot more pain.

"Okay. If we're gonna do that we'll need some fabric." Sam said.

"Which all went up in smoke." Steve and I said at the same time.

"Not necessarily." Sam looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

Sam looked at steve and then looked at me.

"What?" I asked getting annoyed.

"Steve and I are both wearing our suits. You're not." Sam said and I looked down at what I was wearing.

I had forgotten that I was in civilian clothes. I wore a green t-shirt, bluejean shorts, and long sleeve plaid shirt tied around my waist.

"Oh for goodness sakes! Here!" I untied the plaid shirt around my waist and threw it at Sam's head.

Sam laid the shirt under my leg so that he could tie it quickly once the metal was out.

"Have you ever done this before?" I asked him.

"Once or twice. Just try and hold still. Yeah?" Sam replied. "Okay, now this is going to hurt."

I let out a groan, which turned into a scream as Sam pulled out the metal in my leg. I blinked as my vision turned red.

I could feel blood flowing down my leg into the grass as Sam tied the shirt tightly around the wound.

"Ah. That hurt." I breathed heavily.

"You okay?" Steve asked me and I nodded.

I laid my head down in the grass as Sam and Steve talked about what to do.

"We don't have a way to contact anyone, as we can't very well make Chloe walk to the nearest town with us. We're on our own on this one." I faintly heard one of them say.

"Not really." I groaned.

"What do you mean, 'not really'?" Steve asked kneeling next to me.