Valentines Day Part 4

School was drawing to a close, and Nishikata was no closer to figuring out who it was who had given him the chocolate. 'Maybe I should just give up, if they want to tell me, then they'll give me another hint.'

He threw his bag over his shoulder and made his way up to the teacher. "Uh, excuse me, Mr. Tanabe?"

"Hm?" Mr. Tanabe began as he looked up. "Nishikata, you've been especially non disruptive today, is there something I can help you with?"

"I ... promised Takagi I'd bring her the school work that she missed today."

"Right." He began to reach down to a bag that was next to his chair.

"Huh?" Came a voice from behind him. He turned around to see one of Takagi's friends, the one with the ponytail, standing right behind him. "I was going to bring it to her."

"She asked me to do it this morning." Nishikata replied.

"I can take care of it for you, I have something else I have to return to her anyway."

"She lives near me, it would be easier for me to do it."

"She's my friend and I want to check up on her."

'Ooo, good move.' Nishikata thought for a moment before coming up with a comeback. "Well, I promised to visit her if she ever got sick and I need to keep my word."

"Why don't you both go?" Mr. Tanabe said, clearly getting tired of the conversation.

Nishikata looked at the other girl before shrugging. "I mean ... I don't have any problem with that."

"Yeah, I don't mind it either."

"Good." Mr. Tanabe handed the bag to Nishikata, then went back to what he was doing.

Both Nishikata and Takagi's friend walked out of the room, awkwardly glancing at each other, as if they had both been trapped in an awkward situation. "So." Nishikata began. "You're one of Takagi's close friends?"

"Yeah." She replied almost annoyed.

"I ... never got your name."

"Really Nishikata?" She said as if trying to show off.

"Impressive, you managed to guess a name that's shouted in class almost every day." Nishikata retorted as he tied the bag with Takagi's homework to his.

The girl sighed and shook her head. "I guess you have a point, my name is Sumire Takagawa."

"Nice to meet you." He replied as he offered a hand.

"Uh ... Likewise." Takagawa replied as she shook his hand. "It's nice to formally meet you as well."

The two of them continued making their way to the shoe cubbies, with much less awkward tension in the air. "Hey, mind if I ask you a question?"

"Sure." Takagawa replied.

"Did ... you give out any chocolate today?"

"Huh? Why do you ask that?"

"I have my reasons, so did you?"

"Y-yeah, but it wasn't serious, just some small things."

"Oh, great. By the way, do you know of anyone in our class who ... did?"

"I ... don't think so ... and even if I did, I wouldn't tell you."

"I know that part." He reached into his bag and pulled out the small box he received this morning. "I just want to know if the person who gave this to me is in our class or not."